Modeling Chocolate

Decorating By deetmar Updated 3 Jan 2010 , 6:57am by JustToEatCake

deetmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deetmar Posted 27 Dec 2009 , 12:33am
post #1 of 20

I know how to make modeling chocolate, but my questions is, what do the cake shops use? They can't make it themselves can they?

19 replies
alene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alene Posted 27 Dec 2009 , 9:10pm
post #2 of 20

Sorry I'm not able to help you but here's a bump. good luck

windemire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
windemire Posted 27 Dec 2009 , 9:49pm
post #3 of 20

You can buy it at Pastrychef.com, in white or dark, but it's kind of expensive...$60 for 5 and a half pounds.

At that price, I'd rather make it, since it doesn't take much time or effort. icon_smile.gif

http://www.pastrychef.com/MODELING-CHOCOLATE_p_779.html

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 27 Dec 2009 , 9:50pm
post #4 of 20

I'm betting that most make their own. Mike McCarey makes his (well, his staff does LOL), and Bronwen talked as though they make most of theirs. Much more cost effective, and very easy.

lngo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lngo Posted 27 Dec 2009 , 9:52pm
post #5 of 20

Buddy from Cake Boss just buys his. I'm not sure which brand he uses though.

deetmar Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 2:10am
post #6 of 20

I have always made mine, but I have used SatinIce fondant to make it, instead of my MMF. Has anyody tried it with MMF?

crumbcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crumbcake Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 2:23am
post #7 of 20

I've heard of modeling choc, but don't really know what it is and how to use it. Can you please give me more info. Thanks.

lutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lutie Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 3:03am
post #8 of 20

Here is the recipe for modeling chocolate: It is really easy and tasty!

Modeling Chocolate Recipe

*From Bon Appetit

This is a pliable chocolate paste made from just two ingredients, chocolate and corn syrup. It has the texture of a tootsie roll or marzipan and is very easy to work with. It can be used to make ropes, braids, ribbons, ruffles, flowers, or leaves. Can be made with bittersweet, semi-sweet, milk or white chocolate.

Ingredients

Dark Chocolate Modeling Paste:
7 ounces (200 grams) bittersweet chocolate, chopped
1/4 cup (60 ml) light corn syrup

Semi-Sweet Chocolate Modeling Paste:
7 ounces (200 grams) semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
3 1/2 - 4 tablespoons light corn syrup

White Chocolate Modeling Paste:
7 ounces (200 grams) white chocolate, chopped
1 1/2 - 2 tablespoons light corn syrup

Milk Chocolate Modeling Paste:
7 ounces (200 grams) Milk Chocolate
2 1/2 - 3 tablespoons light corn syrup.

Preparation

Note: To prevent the corn syrup from sticking to the measuring cup or spoons, spray with Pam or grease with vegetable oil before measuring.

Melt the chocolate in a double boiler or metal bowl set over a pan of simmering water. Stir the chocolate until melted and smooth. Remove from heat and stir until smooth and cooled a bit.

Stir in the corn syrup. The chocolate will stiffen almost immediately. Stir until completely combined. Transfer the chocolate to a sturdy plastic freezer bag and refrigerate until firm (about two hours).

When the dough is firm, remove from the refrigerator, and knead it until it is soft enough to work with. If it is too hard, cut off small pieces, and knead until pliable. Grease the counter where you are working with oil or spray with Pam so the chocolate won't stick.

At this point you can make the chocolate into whatever shape you want. Some ideas: It can be formed into a long rope or braid and wrapped around the base of the cake. It can also be placed around the outside top edge of the cake.

This dough can also be used to make ribbons to cover a cake. To do this pat your dough into a disk shape and roll dough out to desired thickness using a rolling pin or else use a manual pasta machine. This dough can also be used to make flowers, leaves, or any other decorations.

Well wrapped it will keep for months. If it gets hard to work with knead in a little more corn syrup until it is pliable again.

scionmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scionmom Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 3:42am
post #9 of 20

That is great info lutie thank you! I have read some use it for making figures.. is this the same stuff and do you just color the white chocolate with regular colors?

crumbcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crumbcake Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 4:30am
post #10 of 20

Thanks for the receipe.

lngo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lngo Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 5:43am
post #11 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by scionmom

That is great info lutie thank you! I have read some use it for making figures.. is this the same stuff and do you just color the white chocolate with regular colors?

Some folks have had luck using the gel colors, but keep in mind these contain water which can cause the chocolate to seize. You can consider using oil-based colors - the same kind you find in the candy making section.

MORSELSBYMARK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MORSELSBYMARK Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 7:16am
post #12 of 20

Thanks, gonna try it for sure

pegalter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pegalter Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 4:34pm
post #13 of 20

Charm City Cakes (Ace of Cakes) uses several different types.

romy789 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
romy789 Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 12:32am
post #14 of 20

i would like to purchase a pasta machine to roll out fondant for me, but it needs to be big enough so that i can put it on the cakes. Buddy from Cake boss has one it just makes everything so much easier...Does any one know where i could find one????

deetmar Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 11:54pm
post #15 of 20

I purchased the pasta machine for my Kitchenaid mixer and love it! I know it's more expensive, but it works fantastic and it's one of the things I wouldn't do without. It's funny I have a student working with my right now, and we are going through the things I wouldn't do without. Others were my clay extruder, Fat Daddio's turntable, agbay, Quilters rulers (several different sizes) Fat Daddio's pans, pearl molds, books, DVD's, oh and number 1 is Cakecentral!

romy789 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
romy789 Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 9:47pm
post #16 of 20

omg i dnt know what half of those things are...im still kinda new at this

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 3 Jan 2010 , 1:25am
post #17 of 20

scionmom...re your question about figure carving. I've made flowers, braids and ribbons from chocolate and just this Christmas tried my hand at carving. I don't have the exact proportions at hand, (I am babysitting my grand daughters this week), but I am sure the above recipe(s) are similar. There were just the two ingredients. After letting it set up overnight I merely broke off small pieces at a time and kneaded until pliable. I made an armature out of fiber-covered wire and formed and carved, refrigerating briefly if needed. I find it a really fun medium to work with, for chocolate is very forgiving and the seams or additions blelnd well. You can see the results in my deer in my pictures. Hope this gives you incentive to try. (Mistakes taste good!)

deetmar Posted 3 Jan 2010 , 5:30am
post #18 of 20

Romy, Sugarshack has a post going on those fondant rolling machines that Buddy has. If I remember right they were around $1,500, but I could be way off!

sugarMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarMomma Posted 3 Jan 2010 , 5:46am
post #19 of 20

Thanks for all the info, it answers a lot of my questions about modeling chocolate!

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 3 Jan 2010 , 6:57am
post #20 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by romy789

i would like to purchase a pasta machine to roll out fondant for me, but it needs to be big enough so that i can put it on the cakes. Buddy from has one it just makes everything so much easier...Does any one know where i could find one????

Probably something like this one fondantinfodotcom/ they only run about 4000.00..I think it's going on my xmas list..lol NOT

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%