Buttercreme Roses

Baking By RetiredNavyChief Updated 27 Dec 2009 , 5:14am by indydebi

RetiredNavyChief Posted 26 Dec 2009 , 6:21am
post #1 of 5

My question is I have some buttercreme left over that is red and I need to make red roses for a cake. can i add more meringe power to the red icing and will they dry almost as hard as royal icing roses?

4 replies
indydebi Posted 26 Dec 2009 , 3:16pm
post #2 of 5

You dont' have to add merinque powder at all. MP doesn't do anything to make icing crust. Crusting is the ratio of fat to sugar.

I never use MP in any in any of my cake icing. I dont' use RI to make any cake decors. They all hold up just fine.

Just make your roses and let them AIR DRY. Dont' freeze them. Air dry them. Air drying removes the excess moisture, which then also makes them more lightweight, which makes them not heavy, which means they will be less likely to slide off the sides of the cake.

If your fat/sugar ratio is right, you can make them in the morning and they'll be ready to work with by the afternoon.

icer101 Posted 26 Dec 2009 , 4:15pm
post #3 of 5

as long as your b/c is a good consistency to make these roses .. you won,t have a problem.. i teach this at michaels.. your b/c has to be at least med. to stiff icing... not thin.. you will have no problems.. make them up ahead of time.. let air dry .. ready for your cake.. if your cake is ready .. then you can just lift them from rose nail .. right onto your cake. i have never froze a flower to make it right.. i make it right when i pipe it.. and add it righ to my cake.. if ihave a lot of roses or any kind of flower.. i pipe them the day before and they are ready for my cake.. makes decorating day a joy.. hth i have never added corn syrup to any of my icings for anything.. some people do. i just make it right.. when i make it.. for whatever.. NO STIFF ... STIFF.. b/c .. for anything for me.. if your red b/c is thin.. please add p/s to it to get right consistency.. then use spatula and make it smooth..

RetiredNavyChief Posted 27 Dec 2009 , 5:05am
post #4 of 5

Thank you for your responses. I didnt know that the crusting was the ratio, i thought it was the egg whites. I will give them a try tomorrow.

indydebi Posted 27 Dec 2009 , 5:14am
post #5 of 5
Originally Posted by RetiredNavyChief

I didnt know that the crusting was the ratio, i thought it was the egg whites.

SOme add'l info:

More sugar = more crusting.
More fat = less crusting

I have even thinned my icing by adding more milk and it still crusts great because I didn't alter the fat/sugar ratio ... I just added more milk. I was amazed myself when I saw how this worked. No idea HOW it works ... I just know that it does! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%