How Do I Tint My Fondant A Silver Color?

Decorating By sweetcakesII Updated 5 Feb 2014 , 10:01am by brinacyl

sweetcakesII Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakesII Posted 25 Dec 2009 , 11:52pm
post #1 of 10

I am doing a cake for a WII DJ party and I need the turntable to look silver. How do I tint my fondant to look silver?

9 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 26 Dec 2009 , 12:02am
post #2 of 10

You have to paint the fondant silver using edible paint. You can either mix NuSilver with vodka, buy spray edible paint in a can, or use an airbrush.

janeoxo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janeoxo Posted 26 Dec 2009 , 12:04am
post #3 of 10

Ditto above

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 26 Dec 2009 , 12:17am
post #4 of 10

Before you paint, as described by leah, tint your fondant grey with a tiny bit of black coloring so if you miss a spot while you're painting, it doesn't stand out.

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 26 Dec 2009 , 12:38am
post #5 of 10

Pretty much what everyone else has said, but I color my fondant grey(just add a tiny bit of black to white fondant) then I liberally dust it with Wilton's silver dust, I don't use vanilla or vodka when I'm going for a dramatic effect, just brush it straight on. My fondant isn't completely dry, it's usually a bit crisco stick( I usually give my fondant cakes a final once over with Criso on a paper towel to get rid of all of my cornstarch or powdered sugar residue) The dust is a bit messy but looks great when done(I did the knobs on my guitar cake this way). If it's too much you can always tone it down by a plain paint brush dipped in vodka of vanilla brushed over the top or the good old Crisco covered paper towel. Hope this helps, good luck!

sweetcakesII Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakesII Posted 26 Dec 2009 , 2:26pm
post #6 of 10

Thank you for all of your help!

PinkLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkLisa Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 11:24pm
post #7 of 10

Jeep_girl816 -- Doesn't the crisco on the cake make the dust streak or get clumpy? I want to do this to my cake since I don't have NuSilver on hand.

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 2:00am
post #8 of 10

You use it fairly sparingly, just on the paper towel, just enough to moisten it. I've never had a prob with it streaking or anything. I'm pretty liberal with my dust thoughicon_smile.gif

PinkLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkLisa Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 2:19am
post #9 of 10

Thanks! I think I'll try this method.

brinacyl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brinacyl Posted 5 Feb 2014 , 10:01am
post #10 of 10

thank you for the help. i will try the dust.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%