Can I Use More Cream Cheese And Less Shortening?

Baking By kjskid Updated 26 Dec 2009 , 1:42am by icer101

kjskid Posted 25 Dec 2009 , 11:50pm
post #1 of 7

I've used this recipe from Earlenescakes.com, but I'd like it to be more cream-cheesy. Can I substitute some of the shortening for cream cheese? If so, would it be a 1:1 ratio?

2 lbs. of powdered sugar
1/3 C. warm water
1 1/2 t. Butavan
3 1/2 oz. cream cheese
7 oz. solid shortening with the transfat
dash of salt

6 replies
all4cake Posted 26 Dec 2009 , 12:20am
post #2 of 7

I wouldn't reduce the amount of shortening but the amount of liquid a bit...

all4cake Posted 26 Dec 2009 , 12:38am
post #3 of 7

oops

icer101 Posted 26 Dec 2009 , 12:52am
post #4 of 7

hi, i have made this recipe several times... there are recipes on c/c similiar..... even though they they taste pretty good.. they are not as good as a true cream cheese icing.. with the butter and cream cheese. but they are more stable for icing ..like wedding cakes.. etc... if i want a true cream cheese icing. then i use the true cream cheese recipe that has been aroung for years.. like on carrot cakes, red velvet cakes..etc.. hth

indydebi Posted 26 Dec 2009 , 12:57am
post #5 of 7

I do it frequently. To make my cream cheese icing, I use my regular BC icing, and sub out some crisco and add in some cream cheese.

patticakesnc Posted 26 Dec 2009 , 1:38am
post #6 of 7

hmmm, never used that one. My cream cheese icing is cream cheese, butter, vanilla and icing sugar. It is everyone's favorite around here. Add a little water as needed for thinning as well.

icer101 Posted 26 Dec 2009 , 1:42am
post #7 of 7

thats what i was saying also.. your reg. cream cheese icing taste better than the one you have shortening in.. patticakesnc.. you use the best tasting one.. i have only used earlenes several times for a wedding cake.. like i said. it tasted pretty good.. but not like the real thing.. i use mostly what patticakesnc makes .. it is truly the best tasting.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%