Can I Use More Cream Cheese And Less Shortening?

Baking By kjskid Updated 26 Dec 2009 , 1:42am by icer101

kjskid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjskid Posted 25 Dec 2009 , 11:50pm
post #1 of 7

I've used this recipe from Earlenescakes.com, but I'd like it to be more cream-cheesy. Can I substitute some of the shortening for cream cheese? If so, would it be a 1:1 ratio?

2 lbs. of powdered sugar
1/3 C. warm water
1 1/2 t. Butavan
3 1/2 oz. cream cheese
7 oz. solid shortening with the transfat
dash of salt

6 replies
all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 26 Dec 2009 , 12:20am
post #2 of 7

I wouldn't reduce the amount of shortening but the amount of liquid a bit...

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 26 Dec 2009 , 12:38am
post #3 of 7

oops

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 26 Dec 2009 , 12:52am
post #4 of 7

hi, i have made this recipe several times... there are recipes on c/c similiar..... even though they they taste pretty good.. they are not as good as a true cream cheese icing.. with the butter and cream cheese. but they are more stable for icing ..like wedding cakes.. etc... if i want a true cream cheese icing. then i use the true cream cheese recipe that has been aroung for years.. like on carrot cakes, red velvet cakes..etc.. hth

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Dec 2009 , 12:57am
post #5 of 7

I do it frequently. To make my cream cheese icing, I use my regular BC icing, and sub out some crisco and add in some cream cheese.

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 26 Dec 2009 , 1:38am
post #6 of 7

hmmm, never used that one. My cream cheese icing is cream cheese, butter, vanilla and icing sugar. It is everyone's favorite around here. Add a little water as needed for thinning as well.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 26 Dec 2009 , 1:42am
post #7 of 7

thats what i was saying also.. your reg. cream cheese icing taste better than the one you have shortening in.. patticakesnc.. you use the best tasting one.. i have only used earlenes several times for a wedding cake.. like i said. it tasted pretty good.. but not like the real thing.. i use mostly what patticakesnc makes .. it is truly the best tasting.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%