How To Find Qualified Help?

Business By Heather35 Updated 29 Dec 2009 , 4:36pm by whit6

Heather35 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Heather35 Posted 25 Dec 2009 , 11:45pm
post #1 of 9

I own my own shop, and have been looking for skilled part time labor. I have done a few interviews with qualified people. However, they hand me business cards advertising there own home based business. Am I overly paranoid? Why would I hire these people? How do I go about finding the right people to hire?

8 replies
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 25 Dec 2009 , 11:55pm
post #2 of 9

I think it's A personality thing if you get along well with someone I don't think there
own busines will realy factor in

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 26 Dec 2009 , 12:03am
post #3 of 9

I guess you need to straight-up ask what their agenda is- "I see you have your own business by this card. How do you think that will fit in with helping me in my business?"
I guess for me the question I would need to know is that if I hire you, I need to know that when you are here, you are 100% committed to making MY business a priority. Also, I would definitely decide how to handle pictures. If you created a design, and then your help implemented it, you may have an issue with that cake ending up on the other website.
Best of luck!

ButtercupMama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ButtercupMama Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 8:57pm
post #4 of 9

I'm sorry, but forget that!!
It is a conflict of interests for them to run a homebased cake business, and also do cakes for you at your shop. (A home hobbyist is fine, but once it has turned into a money-generating thing, I'd say no way! Their own interests will always come before yours.)
I ran a craigslist ad for help, and had about 75 responses within 3 days. It was the cheapest ad around, only $25.

You can check with your local art school or culinary school, but you'll have to do some training.

Good luck!!

DragonFly2333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DragonFly2333 Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 9:36pm
post #5 of 9

Yes, I too think it would be a conflict of interest.

In my next of the woods it typical for self employers in the event planning, catering, baking industry to have employees sign a contract that cover issues like leaving to open their own business and stealing ideas.

classiccake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
classiccake Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 3:35pm
post #6 of 9

I checked out your website and you do wonderful work. I am really surprised that you don't have people asking to work for you. I get alot of resumes and intern requests because people have done web searches.

I pay all my interns, but a basic rate...like I pay my dishwasher. That way, they are getting something for their efforts and I am not paying them high wages while they learn. Check with culinary schools in your area and also art schools.

All my interns are fulfilling school requirements and I have to fill out evaluations on them and they are working for credit hours also. My evaluations determine their grade. They are checked on many things, including attendence, cleanliness, effort, etc. It keeps them motivated. Some have worked out welll and I have hired them. Some have been not very good. I will say I have had more good than not so good.

I like doing the internships because it gets me "first crack" at a good employee, I get to train them the way I want things done at a lower cost, and I enjoy the teaching part of it.

Once you get known at a culinary school, you will have lots of requests for internships.

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 3:53pm
post #7 of 9

Do you have a culinary school or a college close by that offers classes in culinary arts? Maybe you could post a help wanted at the college and find some culinary students who need part time jobs.

Or how about a co-op program with one of the high schools where the students include a part-time job as part of their curriculum. They have to keep the part-time job or they fail and if you have some kids who might be interested in a career in food you might get lucky and find some really good help!

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 4:17pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmansmom2004

Do you have a culinary school or a college close by that offers classes in culinary arts? Maybe you could post a help wanted at the college and find some culinary students who need part time jobs. ...

This is what I'd do.

whit6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whit6 Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 4:36pm
post #9 of 9

Too bad you dont live in arizona! I am looking for a job at a bakery but there arent really many in arizona.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%