What Should I Add To My Portfolio?

Decorating By sugarandslice Updated 19 Mar 2010 , 8:26pm by kensoven

sugarandslice Posted 25 Dec 2009 , 10:36pm
post #1 of 9

Hi all, I'm looking for some inspiration.
It's my birthday next week and I'm only having a little family gathering, not a party, but I want to use the opportunity to make a cake which will be a good addition to my portfolio. I really can't decide what to do.
Any ideas?
I'm sorry this is such a vague question but I've just looked through all my saved photos and have come away without definite inspiration! It's my first opportunity to make a cake where I don't have a clue what to do.
Help icon_cry.gif

8 replies
kakeladi Posted 26 Dec 2009 , 1:56am
post #2 of 9

What do you do best?
What are you 'just dying to try'?
Have you done any fondant covered cakes?
Maybe a 3 layer 6" round? I just saw something like that that was decorated for hallowe'en but could be decorated thousands of ways.
Are you a frilly, pink gal or western or goth??
What kind of flower do you make *super well*?
Showcase your best work.

Bluehue Posted 26 Dec 2009 , 2:44am
post #3 of 9

Morning sugarandslice -
After looking at all your photos (and you have created some beautiful work) i didn't see anything along the lines of Damask work....
ie: http://www.lindyscakes.co.uk/Stencil-FleurDeLisSideDesign.jpg

Do you have any stencils that you could use?

Just thought it might be something different to make and then add to your portfolio.

Hope this helps....

juststarted Posted 26 Dec 2009 , 6:14pm
post #4 of 9

May be you can try a carved cake like a purse, or something posh with shoking pink and black Zebra stripes.

sugarandslice Posted 1 Jan 2010 , 10:01pm
post #5 of 9

Thanks for your replies. I thought I'd let you know what I ended up doing.

Here it is: http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1548050

As I said, we were only having a small family get-together so it was WAY more cake than was needed! Everyone who has come near me in the last few days has gone away with a big chunk of cake in their hands!! icon_biggrin.gif

A few people have asked me to share some info on how I made this. First I looked at pics of similar cakes especially the Lindy Smith one but also a couple on here:

I then thought about my colour scheme. Most of the 'overhang' cakes I've seen use black and white, I guess because it's so dramatic, but I didn't want to do that (mostly because the black fondant we get here in Australia is so gross and difficult to work with).

I didn't use any special support system, just a thin set-up board under each tier, a few dowels in each of the bottom two tiers and a main central dowel through the middle. Before I put the cakes on their set up boards I put them on top of each other and measured and marked where each hole needed to be for the central support. This is where I made an error. I should've looked more closely at my inspiration cakes to see that you can get a really dramatic 'overhang' effect without having very much of your cake over the edge of the one below. I put them too far over and had bending issues!

Once it was assembled and I'd lowered the top two tiers onto the central support dowel it was obvious that the middle cake was bending under its own weight. So I took them off and put a more substantial (MDF) board under it (with a little help from DH who drilled the whole through for me). Then there was far less of the bending issue. But if you look closely you can see that there is still an issue with both tthe top tiers of them leaning. It's all because I'd moved them too far over the edge of the one below. I won't be doing that again! Lesson learned icon_redface.gif

Anyway, that's really all there was to it. This cake ended up being far easier than I'd anticipated. And although it's not perfect, I'm pretty pleased with it.

aej6 Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 12:46am
post #6 of 9

It's an amazing cake and thank you SOO much for sharing how you did this and your experiences!

juststarted Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 7:53pm
post #7 of 9

your cake looks beautiful. So brave of you to try this stacking and genorous to share the method with us. I love the sharp sideds/edges of your fondant covered cake (which I tried to achieve but never get it, always get a rounded edge). which king of frosting did you use under the fondant. whould you mind sharing how you got that perfect sharp sides?

sugarandslice Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 8:15pm
post #8 of 9

Hi Juststarted,
I always use ganache under fondant and follow the Planet Cake method (if you can find a copy of their book it's excellent). The ganache recipe is 2:1 chocolate:cream.
I spend a lot of time getting the ganache super smooth with a hot knife (or long metal ruler) before I put the fondant on. It means you can use a very thin layer of fondant too.
Then to get the corners sharp I use a standard smoother held against the side of the cake and a piece of acetate plastic film held in the other hand against the top of the cake at right angles to the smoother. If you make sure the two 'smoothers' are at right angles and touching each other at the corner then you just have to rub back and forth to get it sharp.
I hope that makes sense; it's difficult to describe without pictures!
Thanks for your kind comments about my cake.

kensoven Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 8:26pm
post #9 of 9

Thanks for sharing your tips! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%