Wasc Sides Falling

Decorating By lstalder Updated 26 Dec 2009 , 7:46pm by Loucinda

lstalder Posted 25 Dec 2009 , 3:27pm
post #1 of 8

When I bake a WASC cake the much of the sides fall of when I take the cake out of the pan. This has happened on many different size cakes. I've tried leaving it in the pan for a shorter and longer time but now difference. I also have trouble when I make a sponge cake recipe I have. Any ideas? I know folks swear by the WASC but in the end I do much more carving/repair work than I like. Thanks

7 replies
ddaigle Posted 25 Dec 2009 , 4:04pm
post #2 of 8

I use cake release...leave in pan for 5-10 minutes. Place my cooling grid on top of the cake and flip over. The pan slides right off. All stays perfectly in tact. Not sure what your're using to coat pans or how you are removing your cake, but this is what I do. HTH.

Sagebrush Posted 25 Dec 2009 , 4:49pm
post #3 of 8

You could also try putting a ring of parchment paper around the insside edge of the pan. I'm not sure if you need too grease the parchment, but I would guess you would.

- Leisel

kakeladi Posted 26 Dec 2009 , 2:02am
post #4 of 8

How do you prepare your pans? Do you grease & flour? Bottom only? Or sides too?
Which recipe are you using? The one using 2 mixes or the *original*? Do you use bake even strips?
Info, we need more info?

cakesrock Posted 26 Dec 2009 , 2:49am
post #5 of 8

I use the original WASC recipe, cake release, bake at 300 for 20 mins, then turn up to 330 for another 20 mins approx, let it cool for 10 and then turn onto a cake rack. It always comes out PERFECT! I also follow the recipe to a "t"! Maybe try that icon_smile.gif

2SchnauzerLady Posted 26 Dec 2009 , 2:57am
post #6 of 8

If you can't get cake release in your location, a lot of members love the homemade cake release made with equal parts of flour, oil, and shortening!

lstalder Posted 26 Dec 2009 , 2:20pm
post #7 of 8

Some more info...I have been using the recipe that uses 2 cake mixes. Is there another recipe I should be trying? I use cake release on bottom and sides and also put in parchment paper on the bottom. I haven't tried raising the temp for the last 20 minutes so maybe that will help. Any other ideas?
thanks

Loucinda Posted 26 Dec 2009 , 7:46pm
post #8 of 8

Is your oven calibrated? How are you taking them out of the pans? (if there is no support, you will have trouble) I put the cooling rack over the top, then flip it out - then put another cooling rack over it and flip again. If you are just flipping them out into your hand, there is no support, and the sides will break off.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%