A Good Christmas Eve That Almost Wasn't

Lounge By JustToEatCake Updated 25 Dec 2009 , 3:13pm by JustToEatCake

JustToEatCake Posted 25 Dec 2009 , 8:05am
post #1 of 4

So..our family goes out to dinner together, all 17 of us then we go to my sister's house to exchange gifts. Just as we arrive and start to separate the gifts the phone rings and I see a look of horror on my bil's face he hangs up and says "that's the alarm company Tina (my niece) your house has been broken into and the cops are there. We jump in the car and race the 10 miles to her house, she has been robbed before of everything (decent neighborhoods too) we get there and sure enough both back windows are busted in her home and they actually got in through her son's window. The good news is nothing was missing. We think the alarm (20 second delay) scared them off once they were inside because they even left the light on in her 10 year olds room and the blinds were hanging outside the window. I think they hoped to walk in and find all the christmas presents wrapped under the tree but unbeknownst to them they were all at Grandma's house!! That and the alarm scared them away. After the drama we all went back (after nailing the windows shut) to my sister's (her mother's) and opened presents but it certainly did put a damper on the evening...Could've been worse I know. I need to look into an alarm system myself! Wonder if I can get them for my apt.

3 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 25 Dec 2009 , 10:19am
post #2 of 4

Wow, that's scary. I'm glad no one was home when they broke in, and that the presents weren't there for them to take.

You can usually get an alarm put in an apartment. Most of the time the alarm becomes property of the landlord when you move out, at least here. I don't have an alarm in my apartment...just a couple of small signs on my windows and patio door that say "TX Castle Doctrine-Nothing I have is worth your life." My neighbor's apartment has been broken into, but mine hasn't. I do have a bookcase bolted to the wall in front of my kids' bedroom window because their window is behind a bush.

LaBellaFlor Posted 25 Dec 2009 , 3:08pm
post #3 of 4

I'm sorry that happened, but it definetly worked out for the best.

JustToEatCake Posted 25 Dec 2009 , 3:13pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks, yes I said "it was truly the best of a bad situaiton"...but it certainly does scare you. I just can't for the life of me understand someone who steals ANYTHING much less breaking into someone's home to steal.

Quote by @%username% on %date%