Gingerbread! A Little Late For This Year, Planning For Next!

Baking By MBHazel Updated 30 Dec 2009 , 8:04am by Choc-Ice

MBHazel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBHazel Posted 25 Dec 2009 , 1:53am
post #1 of 13

So, I am thinking about having a gingerbread house decorating party NEXT year. I have limited experience with gingerbread houses so I have a question. Would I be able to pre-make the pieces and freeze them? Will freezing have a negative affect on the stability for the gingerbread?

I don't want to do an extremely simple design (like the small kits) I would rather do 2 styles that are a bit larger than the packaged ones.

Do you think that would work as a party for about 10 guests?

Thanks a bunch!! Merry Christmas to you all.

Hazel

12 replies
kiki07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kiki07 Posted 25 Dec 2009 , 5:04am
post #2 of 13

I have never frozen them so I can't answer that part, but I would start with a simple design for the houses and make them look fancy/ intricate with the decorations you put on/ in them. If you want the guest to be able to take their creations home you should have one per family as well as some way to transport them. Will you build them ahead of time and just let them decorate them? It takes some time for royal icing to dry enough to transport.

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 25 Dec 2009 , 5:19pm
post #3 of 13

You have such a cute and fun idea and I agree that making the pieces ahead of time is a wonderful idea. When I did a small gingerbread house decorating party, the guests left the houses behind to dry as we did full assembly. Kiki's idea is great to do the basic construction in advance. They can still do a lot of the work at your house, depending on how intricate they want to go.

I have heard that gingerbread does not freeze well and have not tried it myself. If nobody chimes in, you might want to do a trial run. For houses, freezing sounds like a great idea, if it works. I will say that in general, I have found gingerbread cookies to hold their flavor very well over time when well sealed if the freezing option does not work for you.

kiki07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kiki07 Posted 25 Dec 2009 , 7:05pm
post #4 of 13

Tracy's right. Gingerbread flavors taste better the longer they sit. I have let the dough sit in the fridge for a couple of days before baking for full yumminess!

MBHazel Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 4:38am
post #5 of 13

Thanks all, I hadn't planned on pre-assembling the houses, but I think that is a good idea.

I need to search out a couple cute patterns for houses and then wait patiently for Fall to arrive so I can get started.

I am already looking forward to it.

Thanks again,

Hazel

Choc-Ice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Choc-Ice Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 7:33am
post #6 of 13

Hello!

I always freeze gingerbread and bake the cookies from frozen ( you really have to give t a couple of minutes more in the oven, depending on the size of the pieces).

It is true it does not freeze all that well, meaning with all that much sugar an molasses or blackstrap you have to just leave it in the freezer and absolutely not touch it, as it becomes very fragile...... and the dough can bend..... but once is in the oven.... its safe!!!

With regads to this, http://elrincondebeatriz.blogspot.com/2009/12/gingerbread-house-daring-bakers.html, this is my post on my gingerbread house and the step by step to assembly...I have baked the frozen pieces in the morning and in the evening I got to finish it.... I had it frozen for 4 weeks-------

MBHazel Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 1:47pm
post #7 of 13

Hi Choc-Ice, Thanks so much for the info. I iired the link and while the page comes up, there is nothing there. I would love to see it.

Thanks again,

Hazel

MBHazel Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 2:34pm
post #9 of 13

Oh WOW!! I have already saved that to my favorites!!!

How big was the house? I didn't know that they had cutters for the houses! That is perfect. Thanks a million!!!

Hazel

Choc-Ice Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 2:55pm
post #10 of 13

Glad you liked it,... If you click on the photo of the cookie cutters box, you can see the measurements...It is big enough.. I think.....

I bought it in Uk but I am sure you can buy it in Amazon.....

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 3:22pm
post #11 of 13

There is a really good thread you might want to look into. We have been keeping it up over a year. It has all kinds of tips, ideas, and advice. That being said, I don't think anyone has ever asked your question, but the answer is NO, never freeze already baked gingerbread. HUMIDITY is the enemy of gingerbread and the moisture would kill any stability if you are trying to build houses. As a matter of fact, letting it air dry as long as possible is the best way to build successful structures. If you wanted to bake as far out as two weeks it would not hurt the pieces to sit in a cardboard box between layers of parchment.

Freezing the dough is fine; however.

Here's the link, happy reading:
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-604431.html

MBHazel Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 6:57pm
post #12 of 13

Thanks so much!!! I'll check out the thread, I will need all the help I can get.

Hazel

Choc-Ice Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 8:04am
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBHazel

Oh WOW!! I have already saved that to my favorites!!!

How big was the house? I didn't know that they had cutters for the houses! That is perfect. Thanks a million!!!

Hazel

Hi Hazel,

I found the same cutters as mine in Amazon... and supercheap!!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000I7N70A/?tag=cakecentral-20

Maybe you can buy them for next year....... there is nothing like planning ahead icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%