Duncan Hines Butter Receipe Cake Need Help Now!!!

Decorating By Wesha Updated 25 Dec 2009 , 12:27am by TiggerNRG

Wesha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wesha Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 6:58pm
post #1 of 8

Hey Guys,

I am doctoring up the DH Butter Cake Mix. How do I "extend" the receipe as the box calls for 2/3 cups of waer and 1 stick of butter? Please help.

7 replies
gramofgwen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gramofgwen Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 7:08pm
post #2 of 8

I doctor by adding a pkg of pudding mix, an extra egg (4 total), 1 TBSP meringue powder, 2 tsp vanilla, and only using 3/4 C water and 3/4 C oil. After blending the ingredients, I mix on medium for 6 minutes. I got this recipe years ago and have found it takes a little longer to bake, but it does fill a character pan quite nicely.

Wesha Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 7:22pm
post #3 of 8

Thanks Gramofgwen, I don't have meringue powder. Does anyone have any other suggestions. I have already opened my cake mix. I just need to know how to proceed. If I use the cake extender receipe, will the cake come out dry being that I only use 2/3 cups of water?

Tiffysma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffysma Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 7:53pm
post #4 of 8

I find the Butter Recipe Mixes don't do well when doctored. all the others do fine; but every time I (or anyone I know) has tried to doctor the DH Butter Recipe mix, it falls and winds up a gummy mess.

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 8:29pm
post #5 of 8

I do the DH Butter cake in my WASC all the time and it works out fantastic. Depending on how much cake you need, you can use either WASC recipe (all are ingredients you are likely to have on hand):

1 pkg cake mix
1 cup flour
1 cup sugar
1 c sour cream (may use yogurt instead)
1 c water (or eggnog, or coffee, or milk, or ... or ... or ... you get the picture)
3 whole eggs
2 tsp vanilla/butter/almond or other flavoring

I usually do 20 minutes at 300 degrees, like Kakeladi suggests, and then move to 325 for another 30 minutes (or more, depending on your oven and cake). Good luck! icon_smile.gif

scionmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scionmom Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 8:53pm
post #6 of 8

Try this one
http://cakecentral.com/recipes/6940/delicious-large-quantity-cake-mix
I made it last week and it is delicious! It can also be halved!

Wesha Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 11:31pm
post #7 of 8

Thanks Guys for all the suggestions. I ended up following the box and then doing the extender. The cake turned out great. I tried the scraps that I trimmed off the top. I added butter flavoring by Wilton to the batter for the extra butter flavor.

TiggerNRG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TiggerNRG Posted 25 Dec 2009 , 12:27am
post #8 of 8

I have doctored this by adding 1 cup of buttermilk, 4 eggs , tablespoon of vanilla, 1 8oz cream cheese (room temp), stick of butter, package of vanilla pudding. I only use about 1/4 cup of water. This has turned out a wonderful tasting cupcake for me. I made them for a party and they were a HUGE hit...there were no leftovers! Very moist and not gummy at all.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%