Best Cake & Filling To Go With Choc. Ganache?

Decorating By JaneDee Updated 25 Dec 2009 , 12:55am by Jeep_girl816

JaneDee Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 11:08am
post #1 of 15

I am dying to try a neat design with some ganache on a cake for Christmas and I'm just wondering, what flavor cake and filling or frosting would please my guests the most?

I actually have never even had ganache before so that is why I need help figuring out what flavors to go with it.

Thanks so much in advance!

14 replies
JaneDee Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 11:47am
post #2 of 15

I guess it is early still. icon_razz.gif Hopefully someone will see it at least. icon_smile.gif

SandiOh Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 12:50pm
post #3 of 15

ohhh, there are infinite possibilities...close your eyes and imagine what you would like to taste with your chocolate...vanilla cake, strawberry filling and chocolate ganache...or chocolate all the way...or chocolate with a flavored filling, or peanut butter cake filled and frosted with ganache...mmmmm.
do you see what I'm saying? you can do almost anything...let us know what you come up with...
Merry Christmas and Happy Caking!
Sandi Oh

JaneDee Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 1:05pm
post #4 of 15

Well while I was piddle-farting around online, I found a few ideas.

I think I am going to try that, a chocolate cake, strawberry filling, and the ganache on top over a light chocolate buttercream (since I'm not covering the entire cake in ganache) ... I'm not much for chocolate so I hope it doesn't over do it. icon_razz.gif
I have heard ganache is too chocolaty to cover an entire chocolate cake but I've never tasted it so we'll just have to see. Plus I mean, I see thousands of cakes covered in it so it must not be that bad. icon_razz.gif

Thank you for the idea, I hope I can make it turn out okay with no mess ups or trial runs this close to Christmas.

Hope you all have a really great Christmas and hopefully you have some time off for yourself to relax. icon_rolleyes.gif

Kims_cakes Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 1:06pm
post #5 of 15

I agree with SandiOh, I believe that almost anything goes with chocolate! Chocolate cake with chocolate ganache if you love chocolate as much as I do.

Happy baking! thumbs_up.gif

indydebi Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 1:49pm
post #6 of 15

Anything.

I'd stick with flavors that your family actually likes. Nothing more disappointing to a caker than to take a cake to family gathering, that nobody ate. But 9 times out of 10 it was because it was a freaky flavor that no one likes.

Debi's #1 Rule: Be considerate of your guests. You'd never serve pot roast to vegetarians ..... dont' serve monkey-butt-earwax cake to those who like chocolate! thumbs_up.gif

FromScratch Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 1:56pm
post #7 of 15

I like chocolate cake with peppermint buttercream and ganache... it's like a peppermint patty. Chocolate cake with tart raspberry filling and ganache is really good too and the tartness of the raspberry helps to cut through the chocolate. Chocolate cake with bittersweet chocolate mousse and chocolate ganache is really really good too.

BUT... if you don't like chocolate... you are going to think that ganache is over-the-top chocolatey. I mean it is just chocolate and cream so it is intensely chocolatey. Just don't want you to be disappointed.

SandiOh Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 2:02pm
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Anything.

I'd stick with flavors that your family actually likes. Nothing more disappointing to a caker than to take a cake to family gathering, that nobody ate. But 9 times out of 10 it was because it was a freaky flavor that no one likes.

Debi's #1 Rule: Be considerate of your guests. You'd never serve pot roast to vegetarians ..... dont' serve monkey-butt-earwax cake to those who like chocolate! thumbs_up.gif

Could I have that recipe for the monkey-butt-earwax cake?, it's my exes birthday pretty soon....

indydebi Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 2:04pm
post #9 of 15

sandi, CC'er Lenette emailed me that she was shopping and actually saw a product on the shelf called "Monkey Butt"! It was some kind of linament for (clears throat) your behind! She emailed "I thought of you immediately!" icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

JaneDee Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 5:01pm
post #10 of 15

lol ya'll are so silly.

But yes, I will still make the chocolate, since I don't usually eat too much of my own cakes anyway, I just really want everyone else to enjoy it.

icon_smile.gif Off to the store now, wish I had these ingredients like... last month for this lol

Apparently my family never got the memo cause they try to serve me and my vegetarian sister meat all the time when we visit! icon_razz.gif

JustToEatCake Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 7:12pm
post #11 of 15

Just jumping in here Monkey Butt products are pretty common these days. They have the whole bathing/smelling/linament line...seriously (how can I say seriously with a straight face)..anyway it's promoted towards mechanical types (men in my family LOVE mechanics) and bikers!...Now I'm wondering if anyone will get some in their xmas gifts tonite..lol

Kims_cakes Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 7:33pm
post #12 of 15

My father works at a zoo (LOVES primates) and a few years ago we got him the "Monkey Butt" powder. Too funny.

And hey, IndyDebi, I will be in Indy on Wednesday. Got any monkey-butt cake left? I'll come pick one up for my father. lol icon_lol.gif

pattycakesnj Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 8:48pm
post #13 of 15

I almost always cover my cakes in ganache before fondant, not overly sweet and of course chocolate goes with everything. (even if I am not putting on fondant, a ganache covered cake is delicious)

kjskid Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 11:45pm
post #14 of 15
Jeep_girl816 Posted 25 Dec 2009 , 12:55am
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandiOh

Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Anything.

Could I have that recipe for the monkey-butt-earwax cake?, it's my exes birthday pretty soon....

LMAO!!! me too me too!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%