Grainy Buttercream!! Please Help Me....

Decorating By moniel Updated 25 Dec 2009 , 5:28pm by cakeandpartygirl

moniel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moniel Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 11:07am
post #1 of 15

I hate that i can't get smooth buttercream! I've added cup by cup of sugar, i've tried adding a tad bit more milk, even mixing it a little longer. And it gets more noticible when i add colors. I notice after i mix my color and it sits i can see white specs even some times water looking streaks in my color! I don't know what to do... PLEASE HELP!

14 replies
Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 11:16am
post #2 of 15

Hard to say when we don't know what recipe you're using.

Have you tried a real buttercream, like SMBC or IMBC. No grittiness there.

moniel Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 11:20am
post #3 of 15

No, I've only used the wilton bc recipe, i'll have to try the others! Is wiltons recipe okay?

Mensch Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 11:22am
post #4 of 15

No, it's gross.

moniel Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 11:28am
post #5 of 15

Well I like the taste... icon_redface.gif , i've looked at the recipe's and they sound good but i need a quick fix to the BC recipe i'm using, Thanks though!

Mensch Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 11:31am
post #6 of 15

Yup, good thing everyone has different taste. Think how boring the world would be if everyone liked the same thing!

I think Wilton's tastes like shite and and has that gross powdered sugar grittiness.

I use SMBC.

zoraya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoraya Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 12:41pm
post #7 of 15

you may have a bad batch of PS. that happened to me a few months ago and nothing I did would fix it. just toss it and start over again but from a different batch of sugar.

victoriacakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
victoriacakery Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 2:08pm
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoraya

you may have a bad batch of PS. that happened to me a few months ago and nothing I did would fix it. just toss it and start over again but from a different batch of sugar.

I agree with Zoraya. I have learned I cannot use store brand PS. I have to stick with C & H. I don't know if the others don't refine their product as much or what but it always ends up just as you described. I can't help with fixing your current batch but just wanted to help you with solving the problem in the future. We each have to figure out what works the best for ourselves. Remember, we are our own worst critic. Nobody else will probably notice.

moniel Posted 25 Dec 2009 , 5:53am
post #9 of 15

Thanks, I will try the SMBC, i'm sure its delish! What i'm using is very gritty though. I have heard of C&H ps can i get that at a regular grocery store? I use domino's confectioners sugar. And your right everyone loved the cake, no one cared about the grittiness, no one even noticed until i said something. Next time i won't say anything.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 25 Dec 2009 , 6:14am
post #10 of 15

I'm with Mensch... I don't care for powdered sugar based buttercream. I use SMBC too. It is easy to make despite seeming like it would be daunting. I can make it in my sleep now (I think I have a few times during those late night cake-fests... icon_lol.gif).

dstbni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dstbni Posted 25 Dec 2009 , 7:19am
post #11 of 15

I've found that my icing is a lot less gritty if I use hot liquid (water, milk, whatever) instead of cold. I also use filtered water and I really like Sugarshack's buttercream recipe.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 25 Dec 2009 , 1:44pm
post #12 of 15

White specs, watery streaks .... are you mixing it long enough? Are you using the beater, not the whip?

A lot of folks "think" if they mix it too long they re mixing in air. I've never encountered this. The longer I beat it, the better it looks. "Beating in air" might result if you're using the whip, but using the beater? I just never had this happen. I use the beater when I mash my potatoes and they don't have air bubbles from "beating in air". icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

You've really got to pulverize the fat. Speaking of which, how much fat are you using? (I have no idea what the wilton recipe is). My recipe crusts well and I've never had the white spots that I read about on here. I use milk (which many say helps avoid the spots), and I use approx 1-1/3 to 1-1/2 cups crisco to 2 lbs of p.sugar. Yes, I use zero-trans-fat crisco with fabulous results. ZTF has nothing to do with it.

But you've really got to beat that stuff. I'll sometimes turn on the mixer then go outside for a smoke break! icon_lol.gif If you watch Sharon's video (which is an excellent learning tool), I believe the mixer is running in that video for about 8 minutes or so. (anyone ..... correct me if I'm wrong ... it's been awhile since I watched it.)

To be very honest, some folks have let me know that they feel my icing is gritty. It may just be whatever you're used to because I just don't feel/taste any grittiness at all. (And that icing has worked for me for 30 years, so I'm not changing it! thumbs_up.gif )

rosamatsas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosamatsas Posted 25 Dec 2009 , 4:54pm
post #13 of 15

indydebi would you mind sharing your recipe. Is it crusting? I've had problems with my buttercream. It used to be gritty. I started using a hot brew of concentrated cofee creamer and its smooth now. But i do get air holes in it, so that when i apply it and smooth it out, little air bubbles are seen.
is there any secret to getting the final coat smooth and without bubble holes?
thanks happy holidays

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 25 Dec 2009 , 5:26pm
post #14 of 15

This is late but.... I used to use theirs also but to me it sounds as if you didn't mix the shortening long enough. Make sure that it is done until smooth but also sift your ps. Also make sure that you are using paste colors and not the real liquidy ones that they sell at the grocery store. HTH

Edited to correct grammer...lol

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%