Houston We Have A Problem

Decorating By d3sc3n7 Updated 25 Dec 2009 , 12:03am by d3sc3n7

d3sc3n7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
d3sc3n7 Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 2:11am
post #1 of 12

SO! I'm currently in the process of making a christmas cake for a dinner party we are going to be attending. First cake is done, second is about to come out of the oven.

I am doing a christmas present cake. Did a small 13x9 red cake, and a larger 13x9 green cake is baking now. I'm using box mix for this one, since its last minute. Anyway, I had mixed up 1 box of mix for the green, decided to do two...so I add in mix, eggs, water....measuere out the oil. Then my phone rings, so I'm on the phone for a few minutes. Come back to the kitchen, toss the cake in the oven...yadda yadda.

I stated cleaning up and guess what I find? My oil, still in the measuring cup! There is oil in the cake, from the first box...but only about half of what I need.

What can I expect when I take this cake out?

11 replies
browniebatterer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
browniebatterer Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 2:23am
post #2 of 12

Is it just a mix? It will be dry, but it might be OK. Take a sample off the top when it comes out and give it a taste.

d3sc3n7 Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 2:33am
post #3 of 12

Yeah, I was at the store already, and had a last minute cake idea. So I just went with mix. It just came out of the oven, so once it cools...I guess we will see what the damage is

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 2:37am
post #4 of 12

and if it is dry...

simple syrup to the rescue.

which can be flavored for even more fun.

or if an adult pharrrrr taaaahhhhh..... then can we say bring on the alcohol as a wonderful moisturizer?

Brendabeeper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brendabeeper Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 2:39am
post #5 of 12

oh my I know exactly how you feel, I did a cake that took 3 cake mixes, Son had dirty pants... after changing them , and scrubbing hands put the cake in and simply forgot the last cake mixes oil. It was ok to eat but a bit dry. I was doing this cake for a friend and was really upset , I TOSSED the whole thing., but if you wanted to try it it may be ok... I am just picky... I would have saved it for my family to eat but none of us need the extra calories. 9 eggs and 3 cake mixes,....TRASHED ...
I HATE being interupted when baking.. most the time I do these so late no one is up to need anything ! Best wishes on your cake..keeping my fingers crossed for you

d3sc3n7 Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 2:39am
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

and if it is dry...

simple syrup to the rescue.

which can be flavored for even more fun.

or if an adult pharrrrr taaaahhhhh..... then can we say bring on the alcohol as a wonderful moisturizer?

Well Hey Doug! I might, just MAYBE...have a bottle or two of daddys medicine around the house...its possible

d3sc3n7 Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 2:56am
post #7 of 12

and the taste test says!

Yup, a touch dry but no where near un-edible. A few generous helpings of BC and I'm good to go! WOOT!

Brendabeeper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brendabeeper Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 3:35am
post #8 of 12

I am so glad it worked out for you ! icon_smile.gif

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 3:45am
post #9 of 12

Glad to hear the cake is going to work. It's so frustrating when you make a goof and have to redo a cake for something so simple as this.

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 5:44pm
post #10 of 12

glad it turned out, mine called for 3 tablespoons oil and i put 1 1/3 should have been water, pancakes anyone, ewwwwwww

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 6:21pm
post #11 of 12

it'll be fine..........I noticed on all of the wilton 3-D pans they tell you to add only 1 tbsp. of oil instead of the 1/3 cup called for on the box to make the cake more "dense" so it will be sturdier. I do that with all of my carved cakes when I know they're going to be carved and they're still moist and yummy...just firmer in texture, not as soft that's all!!!

My brother's wedding was last summer and I made his cake, they wanted all 4 tiers white and so I used meringue powder instead of egg whites and realized after I was done decorating that I had measured wrong and only added about 1/2 of what I should have added.........I cut the cake and it crumbled a little with cutting and plating....but was fine, and it tasted awesome!

d3sc3n7 Posted 25 Dec 2009 , 12:03am
post #12 of 12

Stupid cake...as if this wasnt enough. Not one thing of this cake wanted to cooperate. The base fondant layer was a bit spongy and didnt want to roll out well enough to cover the cake all the way. Had to really strech it.

The "ribbon" I was trying to make was so sticky, and would not stop being so. Regardless of what I did.

I was using chocolate as a decoration also, but I still had it to warm, and it just wanted to goo all over the place. UGH!

To tell you how fed up I was with this cake! I wrote "This cake will not cooperate" on the side, and called it done!

It was not a special cake anyway....just a "why not" cake. Oh well, lesson learned I guess.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%