Help Me Pick A Cheese Cake?

Lounge By TexasSugar Updated 24 Dec 2009 , 5:42pm by TexasSugar

TexasSugar Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 6:10pm
post #1 of 19

Well I came across two recipes that sounded really good and I'm trying to pick which one I want to make for Christmas Dinner. Which of these two would you want a piece of?

18 replies
Mike1394 Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 7:23pm
post #2 of 19

They both sound great. I think you actually shoulkd make like a 6" of both hehehehe icon_biggrin.gif

TexasSugar Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 7:42pm
post #3 of 19

Oh Mike don't tempted me!

Ugh, now you have me thinking. Hmmm... I've never baked one in a cake pan before.

Mike1394 Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 7:47pm
post #4 of 19

Last weekend, I made a Reeses, choc mint, espresso, eggnog, strawberry, plain. I'm all cheesed off LOLOL

Mike1394 Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 7:57pm
post #5 of 19
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

Oh Mike don't tempted me!

Ugh, now you have me thinking. Hmmm... I've never baked one in a cake pan before.

If your going to use a cake pan, put parchment on the bottom. The cake itself will separate from the sides you just have to worry about the bottom.

Making both really won't be much extra work. You'll have your "main cheesecake base" separate enough batter for both pans, then flavor. To give you a starting point for a 7"X 3" it will take 2# 8oz of batter.

TexasSugar Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 8:23pm
post #6 of 19

Does it have to be a 3in tall pan? I mean I get that if I did it in a shorter one it would be a shorter layer, but is there a problem with that baking wise? I'll keep this in mind for future refrence.

I have two seperate recipes I was going to try on these. One calls for sour cream and coffee the other has whipping cream as the liquid. Which with the whip cream one, you heat your cream with the vanilla bean seeds in it. That would make it hard for me to split the one recipe.

If I had all of those cheesecakes I sure wouldn't fill the need to make one of these. Cheese cake is one of my weekness! I'm doing a variation on another, or attempting it anyway. I'm going to try to make a Tiramisu Cake Roll. I'm also doing a Hummingbird cake. So with all those rich and yummy things, maybe I should stick to one cheesecake. Hmmm...

Mike1394 Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 8:32pm
post #7 of 19

Ohhhh sound like cool recipes. A shorter pan won't hurt at all. You'll have to adjust baking times. Good luck let's know how they come out.

TexasSugar Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 8:42pm
post #8 of 19

Thanks Mike!

-K8memphis Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 9:58pm
post #9 of 19

I had cream brulee cheesecake for the first time this week in fact--my husband brought it home to me --Wow was it good!! It was as tall as a New York cheesecake but lighter much lighter--not as dense. The brulee was perfect--It was wonderful!

Do you have a torch??

Loucinda Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 10:01pm
post #10 of 19

TS - I make them in 10" cake pans all the time. I use a parchment collar to hold it while it rises (my recipes will overflow the pan if I don't collar them - with parchment in the bottom like Mike says) After it is completely cold, put a piece of saran wrap over the top, and turn it over - it will come right out!

I never did this until I watched Alton Brown do it on Good Eats. Works great!

BTW - I vote for the vanilla bean one. icon_biggrin.gif

TexasSugar Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 10:47pm
post #11 of 19

K8 I do have a torch I just have to find it. If I can't back up plan is the oven.

I've never had or made a creme brulee cheesecake, but came across the recipes and said, hello we need to try this sometime. My top three favorite desserts are cheesecake, creme brulee and tiramisu. Guess who is indulging this holiday season?

Loucinda I may have to bake in a cake pan since I remembered that I am not sure where the ring to my spring form is. I haven't looked for it again since Thanksgiving, which is when I couldn't find it. My mom has one, so I can always go borrow it if all else fails. I think the cheese cake is the last on my list to bake tonight, so I'll have time to look and decide which way I am going.

I'm going to go ahead and od the creme brulee vanilla bean one. Thank you everyone that took the time to read and vote for me. icon_smile.gif

Loucinda Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 11:04pm
post #12 of 19

I'll be waiting to hear how it comes out, my 2 favorites......creme brulee and cheesecake! YUMMMMM.

Would you share the recipe? icon_smile.gif

TexasSugar Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 11:10pm
post #13 of 19

Sure will! This is the recipe I am going to try. There are several other creme brulee recipes out there, but I liked the vanilla bean in htis one, and thought it sounded good.

Loucinda Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 11:29pm
post #14 of 19

Thanks TS!! I just had my torch out the other day for S'more cupcakes, I will get it out again for this. icon_biggrin.gif

TexasSugar Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 2:38pm
post #15 of 19

I made this one last night and something went wrong. Not sure if want to attempt it again or try the other recipe I have for the Car Mac. UGH!!!

After 50 mins the center was still completely raw and cold. The edges were already a toasty brown. I had to cook it another 45 mins for the center not to be raw and cold. Which means the edges are way over cooked. It is a very ugly cheese cake.

I think, in my limited knowledge on the subject that there was too much batter in the pan. It filled the pan to just about an inch under the rim and baked up over the rim about an inch.

If I try this recipe again I guess I'll use less of the batter in the pan and bake up a smaller cheese cake to freeze. Of course I also think well if it flopped maybe I should put it aside and try another one for now. UGH UGH UGH UGH!

Mike1394 Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 3:24pm
post #16 of 19

Well rats. What temp did you bake at? Was the cream cheese at room temp? I fill my 3" pans almost full, about 1/2" from the top. I bake a 7" at 300 for 1/2 hr then 275 for about 1 1/2hr.

TexasSugar Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 3:26pm
post #17 of 19

Just PMed you. Glad you saw this.

This recipe said 350, so that is what I did. Maybe that is the problem. Cream cheese was room temp. I had take it out of the fridge at 4 and didn't use it until late yesterday evening.

I didn't do the water bath thing, though I have read about them. Do you normally do that?

Mike1394 Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 3:37pm
post #18 of 19

I answered the PM

TexasSugar Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 5:42pm
post #19 of 19

Loucinda, I wouldn't both with that recipe, just delete it now. There were a couple other ones on the internet that would probably work better.

Thank you Mike for all your help!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%