High Ratio Shortening - Any Difference In Brand?

Decorating By ShelleyMJ Updated 27 Feb 2019 , 3:28pm by LaurisCakesandMore

ShelleyMJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShelleyMJ Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 5:47pm
post #1 of 37

I am going to be doing several cakes next month so I decided I am going to try out the high ratio shortening. However, I don't know which one to buy. There are several out there.

Does the brand matter? Are they all pretty much the same?

Please, if you use high ratio shortening, which brand do you use and where do you buy it?

Thanks for your help. icon_confused.gif

36 replies
AngelFood4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelFood4 Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 7:52pm
post #2 of 37

I like using Sweetex which I buy at a cake supply shop here in SoCal.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 8:13pm
post #3 of 37

I buy 50# cubes of Alpine from Dawn. (wholesaler all over the country)

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 8:32pm
post #4 of 37

I never thought there was a difference. I was wrong. I used Alpine for the last 4 years......I finally found a source for Sweetex. WOW - BIG difference in the sugarshack recipe (maybe not so much in others, but definately in her recipe!). NO air bubbles after setting, even a week. I will not go back to Alpine. I really thought it would not matter, hi-ratio is hi-ratio.....but I am eating those words. Sweetex user for sure now.

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 8:52pm
post #5 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

I never thought there was a difference. I was wrong. I used Alpine for the last 4 years......I finally found a source for Sweetex. WOW - BIG difference in the sugarshack recipe (maybe not so much in others, but definately in her recipe!). NO air bubbles after setting, even a week. I will not go back to Alpine. I really thought it would not matter, hi-ratio is hi-ratio.....but I am eating those words. Sweetex user for sure now.

Loucinda, this is interesting. I too use Sugarshacks recipe and have used only Dawn. After reading your post I think I'll give Sweetex a try after I use up this 50 pound block I just bought last week! icon_sad.gif Thanks for the info on the difference!! thumbs_up.gif

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 9:26pm
post #6 of 37

I used Alpine and didnt like it as much as i like the Sweetex i could tell a difference in the way the Alpine tasted and felt in my mouth

KateLS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KateLS Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 9:43pm
post #7 of 37

http://www.thebakerskitchen.net/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=266

"the bakers kitchen" sells sweetex as their TBK brand. (Sweetex requires the name to be changed when their product is repackaged in smaller containers.) it's 8.99 for 4 lbs. Definitely cheaper to go with the 50 lb, but to just try it in a smaller amount, this is the cheapest I found.

I love how it doesn't leave a waxy film in the roof of the mouth!

Beckalita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beckalita Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 9:46pm
post #8 of 37

From what I have gathered from other threads on this site : Sweetex is THE hi-ratio shortening you want to buy.....not all brands are the same!!!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 10:23pm
post #9 of 37

Okay, I'll be the minority view here -- I found sweetex to be just that -- SWEET! It's like it's whipped with sugar or something. icon_confused.gif I'll use it in a pinch but geez oh petes, when I want shortening, I want JUST SHORTENING -- let me decide how much of whatever to put in it. (Okay, off my soapbox now) icon_rolleyes.gif

lchris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchris Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 10:58pm
post #10 of 37

The only hi-ratio I can get in my area, and that's two hours away, icon_eek.gif , is the CK brand.

I use SugarShacks' recipe. Have tried others, and there's just no comparison for me.

That said, I'd like to try Sweetex with SS's recipe. May have to get some online soon..

CakesbyGeorge Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyGeorge Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 11:11pm
post #11 of 37

There is a difference in the Hi-Ratio shortenings. When I moved back to Iowa I tried 2 or 3 less expensive Hi Ratio shortenings and they did not work. I ended up with Sweetex Hi-Ratio shortening. This is the only one that I will use. It costs more but it is the best I've found.
The less expensive ones either had a funny taste or they next morning there was oil standing in my icing. I've had no problems with Sweetex.

DDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DDiva Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 11:31pm
post #12 of 37

I agree that the cheaper off brands don't work as well. I've used Sweetex, Alpine and now Wesson Quik Blend. I actually prefer Wesson Quik Blend. It's a little less expensive than Sweetex and Alpine. I've used it and sold it in my shop exclusively for over a year. My customers love it, and so do I!!

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 11:35pm
post #13 of 37
Quote:

Isn't that funny because my Sweetex loaded itself with bubbles after sitting. I'm a newb and never tried anything else. I just thought they'd all do that. When I saw all the bubbles I was a bit freaked thinking it fermented or something. I didn't use sugarshacks recipe though I have only tried Indydebi's because I had good success with it the first time.

Loucinda Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 11:41pm
post #14 of 37

I got the bubbles with the alpine, no matter what recipe I used. I now exclusively use sugarshacks and NOT ONE TIME have I had any air bubbles - it is perfectly smooth, no matter how long it sets in the bowl. ( I have some here that is about a week old - looks and works perfect!)

littlejewel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlejewel Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 12:42am
post #15 of 37

after looking trough this thread, I searched for sweetex on-line. I found that amazon sell sweetex in 3lb. GFS says the can order it in a 50 pound. I would also like to know what is sugarshack. do you mean a sight or is it right here on CC? I would really like to try this recipe when I get my sweetex

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 1:13am
post #16 of 37

I am a sweetex girl! icon_lol.gif
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 1:39am
post #17 of 37

Sugarshack is short for Sharon Zambito's famous BC recipe. Check out sugaredproduction.com.

oops..this was in reply to littlejewel's post

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 3:09am
post #18 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

Edna icon_biggrin.gif

That's it! Now you know I am going to try Sweetex!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_biggrin.gif

pattigunter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattigunter Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 3:43am
post #19 of 37

Ive been using a brand called Bake Mark and it works fine. I havent noticed a difference since I switched from Sweetex. I only tried it because it was much cheaper (about half the price of Sweetex). I'm happy with it.

Loucinda Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 4:38am
post #20 of 37

Sugarshack's website has an s on the end. www.sugaredproductions.com

sugarshack is her screen name on CC.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 4:54am
post #21 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teekakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

Edna icon_biggrin.gif

That's it! Now you know I am going to try Sweetex!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_biggrin.gif

lol...one you go sweetex you never go back.. icon_lol.gif
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 5:02am
post #22 of 37
Quote:

Sugarshack's website has an s on the end. www.sugaredproductions.com

sugarshack is her screen name on CC.

Oops icon_redface.gif Thanks for the correction!

Loucinda Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 2:05pm
post #23 of 37

You're welcome! icon_wink.gif

I got to meet Sharon at ICES, and she is one of the sweetest ladies you will ever meet. Her whole team was great! (not to mention her set up there was first class and just gorgeous too) icon_smile.gif

ShelleyMJ Posted 25 Dec 2009 , 12:50am
post #24 of 37

Thank you all for all the responses to my request. I believe I will go with the sweetex.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 25 Dec 2009 , 2:07am
post #25 of 37

If you're going to order it over the internet, this is the time of year to do it. Most places won't ship it in the summer because it's too hot in the trucks and it melts or gets rancid. If you try it now, you'll have time to order more before it gets hot.

P.S. Someone mentioned that the Sweetex tastes sweet. Just FYI, that's how mine tasted when it was rancid. The nice fresh cube I bought locally has no taste at all.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 25 Dec 2009 , 5:02am
post #26 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth0209

P.S. Someone mentioned that the Sweetex tastes sweet. Just FYI, that's how mine tasted when it was rancid. The nice fresh cube I bought locally has no taste at all.

Fresh shortening should be solid white throughout with no discernible taste or odor.

The Sweetex I purchased from the local cake supply was yellow and translucent. (Who knows how long they had had it...) The 50# cube of Sweetex I ordered from GFS was so different - creamy white and fresh.

FYI, hi-ratio freezes beautifully.

HTH

ShelleyMJ Posted 25 Dec 2009 , 8:38pm
post #27 of 37

I'm unaware of a store locally that carries it so I will be ordering over the net.

Merry Christmas. icon_smile.gif

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 26 Dec 2009 , 2:32am
post #28 of 37

I too am a Sweetex convert. I used to buy an "off" brand from a local wholesaler but decided to give Sweetex a try.

I'll NEVER use anything else again.

I have to agree with Janh.....Sweetex has no discernible taste or odor at all, and it should be snow white.

I mainly use 50/50 butter/hi-ratio in my buttercream only during the very hot humid months when my all butter buttercream isn't stable enough.

Give it a try, you won't be sorry.

juststarted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juststarted Posted 26 Dec 2009 , 4:13am
post #29 of 37

Sugarshack is cake decorator Sharon Zambito.
Here is the recipe:

ShelleyMJ Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 1:18am
post #30 of 37

I placed my first order with GSA. I purchased a 12 lb box of Sweetex and a couple impression mats. I really look forward to using the Sweetex.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%