Pricing? Just Wondering....

Decorating By quack Updated 23 Dec 2009 , 9:38pm by KHalstead

quack Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 4:28pm
post #1 of 16

Hi, I consider myself a newbie and I don't get the chance to do a lot of cakes with my current work/school/toddler/home schedule. But I really grab the opportunity to make an occasional cake for family and friends. I do wonder though, about how much I can charge for some of the cakes I have done recently. Any ideas/criticism is welcome. The posted cake is a 8" and a 6", double layered with BC coating, MMF cover and decorations, cupcake-smashcake with plastic figurines.
LL

15 replies
leah_s Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 4:51pm
post #2 of 16

That would be in the $180 range from me , without delivery.

But as always, can you sell legally? Does your city/state required you to be inspected/licensed/insured to sell cakes?

quack Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 6:09pm
post #3 of 16

Thanks leah_s. I am only "wondering" at this stage. I haven't even thought about selling yet, and it is kind of impossible to start on at this time for me with my schedule and in the tiny apt I live. Thanks for the heads-up on the legal issues. I read another few threads about it too, and do plan to find out about the regulations in my area in the event I do plan to charge for a cake. Thanks a lot for your comment!
And wow! $ 180!! Now I am really "thinking" , not just wondering!! icon_wink.gif

TexasSugar Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 6:12pm
post #4 of 16

When you start thinking about pricing I think you should price out how much it costs you to make it, because after you subtract that, you have to see if you have profit.

_Jamie_ Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 6:16pm
post #5 of 16

That's really cute quack!

ApplegumKitchen Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 6:21pm
post #6 of 16

Totally agree with TexasSugar - to give you a price guide I would need to know MORE than just looking - biggest mistake people make is NOT knowing how much a cake has cost them..... Compile a list of everything that you had to use to make this cake - and then aportion the time you spent.

It would be a good learning exercise for you to do it here - in a long list -
then we can come back and tell you what you have forgotten! LOL

Mike1394 Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 7:19pm
post #7 of 16

How much did it cost, and how much do you want to make?

Mike

FromScratch Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 7:52pm
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApplegumKitchen

Totally agree with TexasSugar - to give you a price guide I would need to know MORE than just looking - biggest mistake people make is NOT knowing how much a cake has cost them..... Compile a list of everything that you had to use to make this cake - and then aportion the time you spent.

It would be a good learning exercise for you to do it here - in a long list -
then we can come back and tell you what you have forgotten! LOL

Yes yes yes... this would be a brilliant idea. We always forget to think about something or other when coming up with the costs of what we put into a cake. icon_smile.gif

quack Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 8:16pm
post #9 of 16

Wow, thank you all for your replies. Yes, I will calculate and see how much it cost first! icon_smile.gif

ApplegumKitchen Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 8:50pm
post #10 of 16

Just compile your list and type it in this post. I really WANT people to see the process behind pricing - it is SO EASY .... "IF" ..... you understand it - and if you NEVER do it - you will NEVER understand it ..... and will probably end up losing money

Eg Item - Flour
Pack Size - 500g
Unit - gram
Price - $5.00
Amount - this is what you use in your recipe - 250g
Cost - $2.50

MAKE SURE YOU LIST EVERYTHING .... including what you ALREADY had in your cupboard... don't laugh!! this is the biggest mistake people make!!

Do this with each and every ingredient - if you can use Excel do it as a spreadsheet - list ALL the ingredients you may use for whatever cakes you are making - then you can just select the ones in the recipe you have and it will automatically CALCULATE for you - when you have an ingredient price increase you can quickly make adjustments

quack Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 9:10pm
post #11 of 16

ok...missed that tip about making a long list!!! "I am making a list..checking it twice.." Here it goes:
For the cakes
Butter - 6 sticks
Eggs - 11
Flour - 600gm (~ 1.75 Lb?)
Sugar - 500gm (~ 1.25 Lb?)
Milk - 1-2 cups
Cocoa powder - 5 TBSP
Vanilla ess ~ 4 TBSP
Almond ess ~ 2 TSP
Lemon juice/fresh ~ 2 TSP
Electricity for baking
Parchment paper for the pans X 2 times

Decorating
Butter/Shortening - 2 cups
mini Marshmallows - 16 oz bag
Icing sugar - ~ 4LBs (for the MMF and the frosting to coat and fill)
Figurine set - ($6.49)
various colors, tools, and decorating stuff I already have from taking the Wilton courses!

Time away from my kid/studies - PRICELESS!! icon_smile.gif

mommyle Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 9:14pm
post #12 of 16

you can start with this spread sheet, if you want.
it will give you a rough idea of what it COSTS to make a cake (not including any figurines, etc) and it is a bit out of date. And I don't know what the exact costs are in your area.
That being said, I would personally find out what a boutique bakery in your area charges for specialty cakes per serving (aprox.) and go from there. Wilton shows you a chart on how many servings are in each size cake (wedding and party), and you can use that as your guide. Then charge double for any "toppers", as you were the one that had to go out and buy it, and so forth.

quack Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 9:15pm
post #13 of 16

Wow, Thanks ApplegumKitchen and mommyle! Will do so!! icon_smile.gif Great ideas!

ApplegumKitchen Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 9:16pm
post #14 of 16

Hahaha - you're on the "naughty" list..... you'll have to ATTACH prices!! - because you KNOW they are NOT the same in every store, in every town/city/state COUNTRY!! icon_cry.gif

quack Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 9:23pm
post #15 of 16

haha!! ApplegumKitchen, I know. I am at work right now, and can't remember what I paid for any of the stuff except the figurines!! Gotta go home, get out the bills and do that Excel thingy icon_smile.gif

KHalstead Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 9:38pm
post #16 of 16

I charge $90.00 for a 2 tiered fondant covered cake w/ fondant accents (smash cupcake is free for a 1st birthday) and the customer provides the toy topper or else I charge $10.00 plus cost of toy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%