Rasberry Sleeve Filling Vs Preserves

Decorating By CakeMommyTX Updated 29 Dec 2009 , 6:50am by kiki07

CakeMommyTX Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 3:58pm
post #1 of 18

I just need a little for a 6" cake,never used anything raspberry, I don't like the taste.
So is there a huge difference in flavor/texture of a sleeve filling and a jar of preserves?
Which would you recommend?

17 replies
Wiltonlady Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 4:11pm
post #2 of 18

I believe that the preserves would be alot sweeter then the sleeve.

terrylee Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 4:21pm
post #3 of 18

I've used both but I like the filling better...it really does taste good, holds good in the cake, no seeds, and it stays put better than perserves. (the consistancy is a little thicker) A little less sweet and mixes well with whip cream for a fluff light filling.....

icer101 Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 4:27pm
post #4 of 18

the sleeve is better.. if you don,t use that.. then use the all fruit spread. or jams.etc.. not the preserves.... raspberry is one of the leading flavors for fillings. birthday and weddings.. hth

Doug Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 5:34pm
post #5 of 18

and if worried about seeds or too gooey...

heat gently on stove until fully melted and runny....

push through a fine mesh strainer to remove seeds.

return to stove "for a while" until looks a bit thicker -- but not lots thicker as it will get even thicker as it cools

akgirl10 Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 5:44pm
post #6 of 18

Definitely the sleeve filling. And it's pretty cheap compared to a no seed preserve. I've frozen it successfully to use for another day.

KHalstead Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 5:53pm
post #7 of 18

the raspb. sleeve filling is SO yummy, definitely a TON better than preserves!

Kims_cakes Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 5:54pm
post #8 of 18

I've never thought about freezing the left-over filling. Akgirl10 thanks for the freezing tip! I'll have to try that sometime.

superwawa Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 6:17pm
post #9 of 18

Smuckers (and I am sure others) make seedless rasp. jams, preserves, etc. (seedless strawberry too). I hate seeds, so I assume everyone else does too icon_smile.gif

_Jamie_ Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 6:19pm
post #10 of 18

Mmmm, preserves.

Peridot Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 8:03pm
post #11 of 18

I'm a preserves or jam person also. I do not like the sleeve filling - reminds me of what bakeries put in sweet rolls or donuts.

leah_s Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 8:12pm
post #12 of 18

I strongly prefer the sleeved fillings for cakes. Preserves/jam are just tooth-achingly sweet in a cake. Too much!!

llbesq Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 8:19pm
post #13 of 18

In our local stores (N. Va.), they carry small cans of raspberry (and other flavor) pastry fillings which I use if I don't have the sleeve filling. I like it better than using Raspberry preserves/jams etc. and it is a similar consistency to the sleeve filling.

Loucinda Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 8:34pm
post #14 of 18

I have used both in tastings, and the sleeves are preferred hands down here. (the canned stuff is about the same thing, just costs 3 times as much)

CakeItGood Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 4:55am
post #15 of 18

When placing the preserves in between cake layers, should the layers be crumb coated? Do you have to worry about the preserves turning the cake layers to mush? How thick of a layer should the preserves be?

So far, everyone I have ever done a cake for has opted for buttercream or the raspberry mousse filling .... using just preserves makes me nervous!

Many thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

_Jamie_ Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 5:02am
post #16 of 18

4bugz, I make my own from berries we pick during the summers. It is really thick, and I have never had a problem with oozing or making anything soggy. Might have to experiment with whatever you happen to choose to use.

CakeMommyTX Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 5:31am
post #17 of 18

I used the preserves, the cake store was closed and I had no time to order any so Smuckers it was. I guess I was'nt the only one in the city who needed it because I went to 3 stores until I finally found a jar and even then it was so full of seeds I wanted to gag, they look like little bugs to me...ewww.
I still have no idea if it tasted good, I mean I tasted it and it tasted like raspberry but I hate raspberry so I'm not the best judge.
No complaints from the customer though and I guess next time I'm at the cake store I'll buy some to keep on hand, although I still think it's nasty...lol

kiki07 Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 6:50am
post #18 of 18
Originally Posted by _Jamie_

4bugz, I make my own from berries we pick during the summers. It is really thick, and I have never had a problem with oozing or making anything soggy. Might have to experiment with whatever you happen to choose to use.

I don't pick my own, but I, too make my own. Either from fresh or frozen. I also make blueberry (yummy with lemon cake!)

Quote by @%username% on %date%