Edible Image Cost Added On To The Cake??

Decorating By Kiddiekakes Updated 27 Dec 2009 , 3:23pm by indydebi

Kiddiekakes Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 3:49pm
post #1 of 5

I am seriously thinking about getting a EI system after Christmas..I am just reasearching my different options and companies.

What would you charge for an edible image on a cake and would you add it on to the cost of my base price or raise the price of the cake?? My smallest slab cake is 9x13 and is $50.00 so would I add my cost of the EI to that?

What is the best way to do this?

Laurel thumbs_up.gif

4 replies
TexasSugar Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 3:55pm
post #2 of 5

I think it depends. If you use the edible image as a main decoration and it cuts down on the time you spend working on the cake, then it averages out and I wouldn't add to it. If you still had to do alot of piping or other decorations on top of the edible image, then I'd probably charge extra for it.

An example: If printing an edible image saves you an hour or two from having to pipe out a FBCT or Color Flow piece for an intricate design, then I wouldn't charge extra, because in the long run it took you less time to do that cake, so you made more money for your time.

If the edible is just another element and doesn't save you any time, then I'd probably considering adding extra for it.

JenniferMI Posted 27 Dec 2009 , 2:49pm
post #3 of 5

I charge per size of the image. If they want a full sheet image it's one price (8.00) and a 1/2 size (1/2 sheet) it's 5.00

Jen icon_smile.gif

leah_s Posted 27 Dec 2009 , 3:19pm
post #4 of 5

$10 for an edible image. If it's small and I need 2 images and I can fit them both onto one sheet, then it's still $10.

indydebi Posted 27 Dec 2009 , 3:23pm
post #5 of 5

while I agree it may save you time, there are other cost considerations. It's a good business practice to amortize the cost of the equipment and supplies. (edible paper, inks---which aren't cheap from what I understand).

There's also a perceived value that we charge for. Many of the things we do on cake isn't really more work but we charge more because of the PERCEIVED value. Almost everyone charges more for fondant cakes and I personally think that's a big rip-off because in my experience, fondant is so much easier than BC. The increased cost for buying the fondant is minimal when I consider how much easier it is to work with. Do I charge more for fondant? Yes I do. Why? Because it has a higher perceived value.

Edible images are the same thing to me. Customers think these are really really cool, so there is a perceived value that we shouldn't diminish.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%