Help With An Idea For A 1St Birthday

Decorating By cownsj Updated 25 Dec 2009 , 10:17am by moniel

cownsj Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 3:11pm
post #1 of 19

Please help with an idea. The parents definitely want the cake in the shape of the number 1. They want buttercream and bright primary colors. I can use fondant for design, but they don't have theme they'd like. Their little boy changes what he likes so fast they don't want me to do a particular theme. I want something to really excites them and not just have a plain buttercream covered cake. I need this for next week. Please help with some ideas. (I've seen some of the cakes with balloons floating up that I like, and that is the closest I've come to an idea so far)

18 replies
Doug Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 3:53pm
post #2 of 19

balloons good...

but any abstract artsy theme would work.

so could do:
multisized circles and donuts (circles w/ holes cut out -- do off center for better effect)
stripes of all sorts (could have zig-zag edges?)
primary shapes (circles, squares, triangles) sort of like building blocks

do in bright colors.

tab_stout Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 4:24pm
post #3 of 19

I agree with Doug, that would look great! Here's another cute idea, however a car and train may be a little to "themed" for them so the abstract way is probably the way to go.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1310797

cownsj Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 4:30pm
post #4 of 19

That cake is adorable. But yes, the abstract is sounding good.

Should I do stripes on the sides and the donuts and other shapes on top? I'm trying to visualize doing this. And should I restrict the work to just the cake itself or do you think I should have it spill over onto the cake board in some way? What do you think of the idea of doing a sugar birthday hat maybe next to the cake?

Doug Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 5:32pm
post #5 of 19

search of gallery on stripes and children's birthdays

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&meta=search&type=full&search=stripes&album=60&search_user=&pageID=1

lots and lots of ideas.

---

yes, can mix and match (and mismatch as it were for me!) as much as you desire.

yes, can carry over onto the board if so inclined

only limited by time, patience, $

-----

birthday hat sounds very cute. --- that could even be a smash cake!! big ol' #1 on it with stripes or circles

cownsj Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 5:43pm
post #6 of 19

I hadn't thought to search that way. I did a search for Number 1 cake, and went through something like 53 pages looking for just the right inspiration for this one. That's where I got the balloon idea from. I'll be going through these now too. Thank you.

KHalstead Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 6:02pm
post #7 of 19

If you've got an airbrush you could do a design like this..........would be pretty on a shaped cake!
LL

cownsj Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 6:22pm
post #8 of 19

Wow, I wish I did have an airbrush, just to have one. But this cake is done so beautifully with it. If it were a fondant cake I might try to paint that, but on buttercream I'd never get the right results.

KHalstead Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 7:46pm
post #9 of 19

you could get ahold of a can of the wilton color mist and use that since it's not anything that needs details....just lay some ripped paper towels and spray, move the paper towel, spray again, and so on.

CakeWhizz Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 8:02pm
post #10 of 19

I don't know if this helps cownsj but I've done a design similar to the lovely cake in the photo without an airbrush for the background of the aeroplane cake in my photos. What I did was cover the cake as usual, and taking a piece of fairly stiff cardboard, I tore it around the edges to make a rough cloud like outline and laid it flat against the cake. Using some blue petal dust, I lightly brushed around the edges of the cardboard (making sure the rest of the cake was covered of course. I then moved the card board around to expose some white fondant and continued dusting lightly around the edges until all the cake was completely covered.

I really hope this helps and better still makes sense!

cownsj Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 11:38pm
post #11 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeWhizz

I don't know if this helps cownsj but I've done a design similar to the lovely cake in the photo without an airbrush for the background of the aeroplane cake in my photos. What I did was cover the cake as usual, and taking a piece of fairly stiff cardboard, I tore it around the edges to make a rough cloud like outline and laid it flat against the cake. Using some blue petal dust, I lightly brushed around the edges of the cardboard (making sure the rest of the cake was covered of course. I then moved the card board around to expose some white fondant and continued dusting lightly around the edges until all the cake was completely covered.

I really hope this helps and better still makes sense!

I have some yellow left over in a can here. Never had much success with the can, so I'll give a practice try with this and then I can buy the blue later.
I'll give the parents a couple choices, one with the balloons, and one with the shapes and see if they like either of those. In the meantime, if anyone has any other ideas, please throw them my way.

cownsj Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 2:27am
post #12 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

search of gallery on stripes and children's birthdays

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&meta=search&type=full&search=stripes&album=60&search_user=&pageID=1

lots and lots of ideas.

---

yes, can mix and match (and mismatch as it were for me!) as much as you desire.

yes, can carry over onto the board if so inclined

only limited by time, patience, $

-----

birthday hat sounds very cute. --- that could even be a smash cake!! big ol' #1 on it with stripes or circles

I just finished going through all the pages here and kept getting drawn to the cakes with stars on them and stars on wires and lollipop sticks. That will be a 3rd idea I'll pitch, stripes on the sides stars on top and a spray of stars at the top of the cake.

This morning I was really at a loss for ideas, and now I'm getting excited for this seemingly simple cake. Now to go over the ideas with the parents and hope they like one of them.

Thank you everyone.

lomikesa Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 3:47am
post #13 of 19

I did this one year old cake with a all sport theme, it was a half sheet with a number one carved cake for the top. All the sport balls are candy melts.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1313304

Lomikesa

minerva16 Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 4:02am
post #14 of 19

Here is a cake that I did for a first birthday. You can decorate the presents in stripes or however you like.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1412476⊂=1412477

CandyLady Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 3:04pm
post #15 of 19

check out the 1st birthday pics on this website:
http://www.inspired-by-chocolate-and-cakes.com/birthday-cake-ideas.html

cownsj Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 4:06pm
post #16 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by lomikesa

I did this one year old cake with a all sport theme, it was a half sheet with a number one carved cake for the top. All the sport balls are candy melts.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1313304

Lomikesa

Very cool cake. Unfortunately, she already turned me down for a sports theme, but your cake still offers me ideas for the cake board underneath the cake, incorporating it into the theme. Thank you.

cownsj Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 4:13pm
post #17 of 19

minerva16 and CandyLady, thank you both for the ideas too. CandyLady, that website is terrific, I'm just having fun looking through all the pictures right now.
Why is it that the cakes that seem the simplest are the most difficult to design? Could it be that we want every client to feel as though they have the best cake we ever made? hmmmmm, that just occured to me, but I think that could be the case.

cownsj Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 4:36pm
post #18 of 19

woo hoo, just talked with the mom. I first told her the idea of putting balloons floating up the one and she loved it, didn't want to hear anything else. Nice and easy, but of course I felt I had to give her other options.... lol So I mentioned putting the stripes on the side of the cake and either circles or stars on top of the cake. At this point she was getting interested. I said we could put some stars on wires or lollipop sticks and have them bursting out of the top of the one and she was hooked. She LOVES the idea of the stars, especially the part of the stars on wires. She is now a very, very excited mom and can't wait for her baby's first birthday cake to arrive.

Thank you, thank you, thank you to everyone for your help.

moniel Posted 25 Dec 2009 , 10:17am
post #19 of 19

OOh I stumbled across a nice idea for the cake, It's a really cute start for the idea, it looks like it may be two or three layers of cake. The sides are a different color from the top. Check it out, let me know if it helps!!

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=11366

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%