What Would I Use To Texturize A Gumpaste Bush?

Decorating By MrsNancyB1 Updated 23 Dec 2009 , 8:10pm by MrsNancyB1

MrsNancyB1 Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 2:27am
post #1 of 6

I want to make a cake that looks like a bush. That's right, I want the cake to have the texture of a bush. What should I use to achieve the correct texture??

5 replies
emiyeric Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 2:55am
post #2 of 6

Here's a neat trick that worked really well for me on a little cartoon fish awhile back for the scales, but perhaps you can apply it as well. I took a clean pair of manicure scissors and just snipped at a 45 degree angle into my fondant or gumpaste (when making figures), not cutting the piece off but just separating it from the rest of the fondant. Difficult to describe, but basically you end up with a million little "spikes" all over your canvas, so easy and so fast to make that you don't mind having to make so many. I can see that working as a textured background for something you could do with a bush motif.

Good luck!

all4cake Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 3:21am
post #3 of 6

What type of bush?

The subject states the use of gumpaste but the opening post states the cake is to look like a bush...

How will the cake be covered...in buttercream? fondant? other?

Mike_Elder Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 3:37am
post #4 of 6

I'm guessing your covering it in fondant?? for that I have a simple way that is very low tech!! I grab a handfull of bamboo skewers ( i have a million of these!!) then holding them together in a bunch with the ends all together, I gently drag them across the surface in the desired direction. works for hair, bristles etc... if your doing it on BC put a smooth paper towel against the cake first then do the some thing, but being careful not to push or pull the towel. if you experiment you'll find thet there's an angle to hold them at that gently scribes the lines without scratching it!!
Otherwise you could simply score it one line at a time??
Hope that helps

MrsNancyB1 Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 8:10pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks everyone! icon_smile.gif

Yes, I'll be covering the cake in fondant. I must have had GP on my mind when I wrote the subject line. icon_biggrin.gif

I like the idea with the manicure scissors. Not sure why I didn't think of that?? icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%