Fondant

Decorating By klavold Updated 23 Dec 2009 , 3:31am by Mike_Elder

klavold Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klavold Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 2:18am
post #1 of 4

How do I keep fondant moist? I made my first wedding cake and it was all really dry. Is there any way to add moisture, some was Wilton brand and some was homeade marshmallow? Thanksicon_wink.gif

3 replies
tannersmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tannersmom Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 2:40am
post #2 of 4

When I work with fondant (MMF) I make sure not to over do it with PS or corn starch as I'm rolling it out. If you use to much, it will dry it out. Also, as your working with a piece (rolling it out), make sure to keep the rest of the fondant wrapped in plastic wrap and in a zip loc. If it sits out to long, the air will dry it some too. HTH

sherrycanary62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherrycanary62 Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 3:10am
post #3 of 4

I always add a tblspoon of light corn syrup to a batch of mmf..I never get dry fondant

Mike_Elder Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike_Elder Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 3:31am
post #4 of 4

first off, it is normal for fondant to "dry" all icing does to a degree, but that is one of the good (and bad) things about fondant! lets face it fondant is used primarily for it's visual appeal and many times the fact that it dries is a very needed thing... When in it's set or "dry" state fondant is very very stable, and will support a cake against gravity (to a degree) There are dozens of sculpture cakes and tons of perfectly smooth wedding cakes I do that just couldn't happen without this property of fondant. There are several things to consider if you just can't accept this... Try better fondant!! Wilton is a base model while I use Satin Ice daily and never have anyone complain about it being "dry" ( even though it sets up beautifully) Another fondant I was recently aquainted with is Fondarific. It doesn't "dry" at all but has several drawbacks depending on the use (you can't paint it or use it for some structural elements) The comment about cornstarch is also very very valid!! cornstarch will dry it out emensely if used in excess!! other factors are: the amount of time you take rolling it, the humidity!, temperature, thickness... best advice is! keep trying!!
Hope this helps a little?
Mike

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%