Wedding Cake / Sheet Cake Servings Question

Decorating By fruitsnack Updated 22 Dec 2009 , 11:44pm by LaBellaFlor

fruitsnack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fruitsnack Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 9:43pm
post #1 of 7

Just booked my first wedding cake order - yay! They are expecting 200-250 people. They want a two tier cake for them to cut into, but then want sheet cakes to feed the people (I know, I know - but it's what they want). I tried to search, but kept having problems. So . . . my questions.

- The largest sheet cake pan I have is 12x18. I think I calculated right - for 1x2 slices, each sheet will serve 108, is that right? Do you do a two layer sheet cake or just one layer?

- They are thinking about a 6" and a 10" for their tiered cake. Most of the cakes I've found are three tiers - will a two tier cake look weird? Should I bump them up to a three tier?

Thankfully, I have plenty of time to learn / practice / etc. Any other pointers for a wedding cake newbie?

6 replies
fruitsnack Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 9:44pm
post #2 of 7

Other question - do you charge a flat charge for your sheet cakes? What do you charge for a simple 12x18 sheet? One layer or two?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 10:09pm
post #3 of 7

If it's a single layer cake, the pieces will be cut 2x2x2 (8 cubic inches) and you'll get approx 54 pieces (I figure 50 to be safe).

If it's a 2-layer, then the pieces will be cut in 1x2x4 (4" tall - 8 cubic inches) and you'll get approx 108 pieces (I figure 100).

A 2-tier cake will look fine. Even tho' I think it will look squatty and "token", it will be fine. 6/10 round serves 12/38 = 50 servings, so you're looking at two 2-layer 12x18's (100 servings each x 2 cakes = 200 servings + the 2 tier cake that serves 50 = 250).

I flat charged for all of my cakes. And the reason I never sold sheet cakes for weddings is because it's all the same price. So they 'could' get a 2-tier plus sheets .... or for the same money, they could have the large grand wedding cake centerpiece they'd always dreamed of. So sheets never became an issue for me.

_Jamie_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_Jamie_ Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 10:24pm
post #4 of 7

They want sheet cakes for what reason?

1. They have been told by the gazillion "advice" sites it's the way it's done?

2. They think it's cheaper?

3. (other reason)

No one walks away from my consult with an order for sheet cakes. Nevermind the fact that I don't do them, BUT, haven't lost a sale for that reason yet.

fruitsnack Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 10:33pm
post #5 of 7

I'm doing the cakes for a friend's daughter, so I just went with what they want. I'm also taking into consideration that the cakes will have to travel several hours - I'm in central IL, the wedding's in Indiana.

_Jamie_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_Jamie_ Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 10:35pm
post #6 of 7

Ah, well, sheet cakes probably make much easier travelling.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 11:44pm
post #7 of 7

People choose sheet cakes, cause they think they will save money. I charge by the serving, so if I did do a sheetcake , it would be a kitchen cake. That way when cut, the piece served would look just like the piece served from the wedding cake. Thats why the serving at the cheapest would be $3, and just a small savings over the full size wedding cakes, depending on design. And good luck with the cake trip, even with sheet cakes. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%