Can't wait to try all these recipes!

HowCoolGomo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HowCoolGomo1 Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 10:52pm
post #32 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowCoolGomo1

NO not all your fault. I misread the amount of p sugar. I put in an entire pound......Good news, they have been tried out on 3 different people and they are still a hit. My adults wants my mistake drizzled with bitter chocolate, so hopefully a brand new cookie for everyone.

One of our favorite family recipes was due to an accident. We were poorer than dirt so mom was famous for making meals outta nothing. One day she was cooking dumplings in a big pot of tomato juice (a.k.a. tomato dumplings). When putting in the pepper the lid fell off and the whole can of pepper got dumped in! icon_surprised.gif Since it was one of God's commandments that "thou shalt not waste food", we ate them. Took a lot of milk, but we did. She had to make them that way every time after that or we didnt' like them. Thus was born our "Hot and Spicy TOmato Dumplings!"

Supposedly that's how chocolate chip cookies were invented. She forgot to melt and add the chocolate.

Waste not, want not was the golden rule in my house. Eat now, breakfast is a long time away.

greengyrl26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greengyrl26 Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 11:14pm
post #33 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

I just made some lemon cookies:

lemon cake mix, 2 eggs, 1/3 c. veg. oil, 1 tsp. lemon extract

and they were SO good, nice and chewy and yummy!!!

OMG...I LOVE anything lemon!!! I'm dying to try this recipe!!! Can you tell me how long to bake them and at what temperature?

Thanks in advance!

Beckup Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beckup Posted 25 Dec 2009 , 1:55am
post #34 of 55

I am so looking forward to trying some of these recipes!

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 25 Dec 2009 , 2:03am
post #35 of 55
luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 25 Dec 2009 , 4:36am
post #36 of 55

Do all of these kinds of cookies bake up flat? Any recipes with more substance in the cookies?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 25 Dec 2009 , 4:49am
post #37 of 55

in my post where I listed 3 recipes, the one with brown sugar tends to stay in a half-ball-domed shape.

Also, when I freeze the cookie dough balls and then take them straight from freezer to oven, they don't spread as much. (Always kept stocked up on about 5-6 different kinds for last minutes small orders.)

kiki07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kiki07 Posted 25 Dec 2009 , 4:59am
post #38 of 55

Mine cook up slightly domed. When filled they have the texture and look of a whoopie pie.

luv2bake6 Posted 25 Dec 2009 , 5:02am
post #39 of 55

Thanks, i'll make some tomorrow and throw them in the freezer. I like my cookies soft and meaty, not flat and chewy. I have been looking for that type of ccc recipe as well but cannot seem to find one as every one i've tried has flattened.

luv2bake6 Posted 25 Dec 2009 , 8:14pm
post #40 of 55

OMG debi! That first recipe with the brown sugar is D-I-V-N-E!!!!!
My first batch was scooped with a cookie scoop and left as is. You're right, they did stay exactly the way i put them on the sheet! But oh are they delicious. My only concern is why they seem to be hollow inside. It doesnt affect the taste or texture because the cookie is so soft that when you bite down, it sinks into itself, but i was curious what caused it. So, with my next batch, i scooped out the cookie and then flatten slightly with my palm. Maybe that will take care of the hollow centers. They're in the oven right now and my first batch is .................GONE already!!!!!!!Kids and hubby came in to snatch them up while i was typing here.

I used chocolate chips. What other additions do you use other than m&ms or other types of chips and nuts? This is an incredible recipe and i thank you so very much. What does the brown sugar do in the recipe?

luv2bake6 Posted 25 Dec 2009 , 8:31pm
post #41 of 55

Ok, the second batch did the same with the hollow center so i'm still back to square one. Now they were soft right out of the oven, but after cooling, they hardened which made the hollow centers a bad thing. When biting into one, it crumbled in my hand. It was still delicious and melted in my mouth but did i do something wrong? I dumped all the ingredients in the mixer at once, mixed and scooped onto cookie sheets.

indydebi Posted 25 Dec 2009 , 9:34pm
post #42 of 55

that's pretty much what we do to them. If they got really hard, you may have overbaked. They should come out of the oven when they just BARELY start to brown on the edge. They may even still look 'wet'on the top.

luv2bake6 Posted 27 Dec 2009 , 1:34am
post #43 of 55

but are they hollow in the center? The second batch was taken out when just starting to brown on the edges but still wet looking on top and they cooled hollow and hard so that if you bit into it, it crumbled all over the place (it tasted damn good though lol)

sugarspice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarspice Posted 27 Dec 2009 , 3:19am
post #44 of 55

I will try some of these...cake mix cookies in the past have been bland and dry. So exciting to find something that may work!!

Megz8706 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Megz8706 Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 5:00pm
post #45 of 55

I made the cookies on thursday and everyone liked them a lot.I used Devil Foods Cake mix and Marble Fudge cake mix.Altogether I think there was about 40 cookies altogether and there was about 10-15 left.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 8:12pm
post #46 of 55

luv2bake6, I've never had them come out hard or with a hollow center... Can you save them by squirting a filling in them?
Which recipe are you using?

Donnagardner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnagardner Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 8:31pm
post #47 of 55

Yumm Yumm.

luv2bake6 Posted 3 Jan 2010 , 1:16am
post #48 of 55

I was using the first recipe that debi graciously shared (the one with the brown sugar).

auntmamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntmamie Posted 3 Jan 2010 , 2:15am
post #49 of 55

all of these sound so good!

ckckhome Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckckhome Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 11:46pm
post #50 of 55

great thread my next batch of cookies will be the cake batter cookies

Indydebi--Do you use a specific brand of cake mix Duncan Hines etc.,

indydebi Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 12:39am
post #51 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckckhome

great thread my next batch of cookies will be the cake batter cookies

Indydebi--Do you use a specific brand of cake mix Duncan Hines etc.,

Betty Crocker for the lemon. The best mix for the chocolate was the Walmart brand "Great value" but they dont' carry that anymore.

Kims_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kims_cakes Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 1:17am
post #52 of 55

My son was recently diagnosed with tons of food allergies, icon_surprised.gif so I pretty much have to make all his food from scratch, or scrutinize the labels. I'm so glad I read this thread! I have a gluten free cake mix sitting in my pantry. I'm going to make him some cake mix cookies tomorrow. They might not taste as good, but he doesn't know that.

CbyA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CbyA Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 4:41am
post #53 of 55

Indy, I made the recipe for lemon cookies but they went so flat and stuck it all one to another, follow the recipe as you said but I didn't freeze the dough, what I did wrong?

indydebi Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 5:02am
post #54 of 55

did you see the correction? It's 1/2 cup p.sugar, not 1 cup, plus some extrsa for rolling the dough balls.

Bunsen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bunsen Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 5:15am
post #55 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowCoolGomo1

Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

aauugghhh!!! my fault! my fault!

It's only 1/2 cup p.sugar in the batter, not one full cup! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

I was reducing the recipe from my commercial recipe (I used a min of 6 cake mixes when I made a batch of these!) and I did the math wrong on the p.sugar!

I am SO sorry!!!

When I'd make these dough balls and freeze them, they wouldn't spread as much, but I'm betting my screw up in the measurement was a contributing factor!

Add'l note ..... when I take them out of the oven, I bang the cookie sheet on the counter to really flatten them.

NO not all your fault. I misread the amount of p sugar. I put in an entire pound.

I also might not have creamed the butter enough.

Good news, they have been tried out on 3 different people and they are still a hit. My adults wants my mistake drizzled with bitter chocolate, so hopefully a brand new cookie for everyone. I'll let you know after tonight's party when they will be consumed by all sorts of people.

MaryAnn

There is an English cookie called Grantham Gingerbreads - they have a huge amount of sugar in them and rise up and become hollow like this. Must be something in the amount of sugar. Haven't made them in years but now I'm thinking about making a batch and adding some new flavours. Thanks for the jogging my memory!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%