Attach Gumpaste Roses To A Dummy Cake?

Decorating By cai0311 Updated 23 Dec 2009 , 3:52am by Mike_Elder

cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 7:22pm
post #1 of 4

Okay, this upcoming Feb. I am going to partake in my very first bridal show. One of the cake displays I would like to do is similar to http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=50017

The difference being I would like to do gumpaste roses instead of real roses. The cake will be as follows:
12" bottom tier, 10" tier, tier w/ roses, 10" tier, 8" tier, tier with roses, 8" tier, 6" tier. Ambitious, I know. And there is a chance that design will change as I will probably get sick of making roses. So, what size styrofoam round should I buy for the two tiers with roses and how do I attach them to the styrofoam? Do I need to put floral wire in each flower and put that in the styrofoam or maybe a dab of royal icing? Should I cover the tier in fondant or leave the styrofoam exposed (you won't see the tier so exposed won't affect the look).

3 replies
dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 7:42pm
post #2 of 4

This cake is lovely

12"
8" with roses - cover the outside edge with ribbon in case it shows through
10"
6" with roses- cover the outside edge with ribbon in case it shows through
8"
6"

Attach the roses with royal icing, you won't have to worry about them shifting or coming loose.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 12:32am
post #3 of 4

Simply make your rose bases on toothpicks and VOILA ~ just stick 'em in the dummies.

You can't really do roses without your base either being wired or on a toothpick anyway.

Mike_Elder Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike_Elder Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 3:52am
post #4 of 4

Do you really think you can completely hide the styrofoam dummy?? I couldn't!! I'd atleast cover it in a thin sheet of fondant first! LOL that way when your trying to force all those rigid roses together and there happens to be a few (even tiny) gaps. there's something underneath... I know at shows everyone uses dummy cakes but the idea is to do it as you would a real cake!! and you'd have to ice that, even if just in bc!! otherwise I'd use a little royal and also the rose wire itself.
good luck!!
Mike

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%