Just Fyi-Buying Xmas Stuff After Xmas-Your Ideas?

Lounge By JustToEatCake Updated 25 Dec 2009 , 4:13pm by JustToEatCake

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 4:48pm
post #1 of 17

Just wanted to let everyone know that Walmart usually reduces severly their foil pans with plastic lids and their foil cupcake pans with plastic lids after Xmas. The pans have a xmas design on the bottom pan but I use them for storing gumpaste items I've made. They stack well also. The cupcake pans have xmas designed cupcake liners in the bottom of them but they can be removed (I bought some at halloween and now I have cc liners for next year that I removed from the cc foil pans).

Just thought I'd share, now do any of YOU have any after xmas baking sale places? Huh huh? Come on, SHARE!! Inquiring minds want to know!

16 replies
jodibug0975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jodibug0975 Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 4:55pm
post #2 of 17

I plan to buy all the marked down chocolate I can find for dipping cake balls.

jojo0676 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jojo0676 Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 5:03pm
post #3 of 17

Target also puts all of their things on clearance. I stock up on cupcake liners, sprinkles, all kinds of good stuff!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 5:12pm
post #4 of 17

I usually went to Michael's and Hobby Lobby to stock up on silks to use for table decor for my caterings.

Non-cake items that I usually pick up: Scarf and gloves sets are usually marked down to nothing! I picked up about 6 sets one year ... $12 sets marked down to $2.50. Threw them in the closet for last minute gifts, for co-workers, for stocking stuffers, for family gift exchanges. Red candles and candle sets are always good 'generic' gifts, too.

About 2 years in a row, I stocked up on wrapping paper .... had so much that I didn't have to buy paper for about 6 or 7 years! icon_lol.gif Definitely a real money saver on that one!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 5:14pm
post #5 of 17

I always buy the candy mold kits from Target when they're 75 percent off. They have several different colors of candy melts, a paintbrush or two, and some hollow lollipop sticks, plus the candy molds that I like to collect. I use the hollow lollipop sticks as a holder for wires that I stick in cakes, and I like having small amounts of different colors of candy melts because I paint the color into the molds and then fill it the rest of the way with real chocolate so it tastes good.

tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 5:21pm
post #6 of 17

Last year I waited till well into Jan. and the little Christmas tree ornaments went down to 10 cents for 6 in each package. I bought them all and that is what I will attach to my cookie packages this year. Great little decoration for a little over a penny each. I got them at Wal-marts. Will do the same this year.

Kims_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kims_cakes Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 5:22pm
post #7 of 17

You might just be looking for caking stuff, but I bought Christmas cards a few years ago at Target for 90% off. icon_surprised.gif Needless to say I stocked up and still have a few boxes left. I usually buy sweaters and coats for dirt cheap after the holidays.

I'm excited to see what everyone else shares.

CeeTee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CeeTee Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 8:04pm
post #8 of 17

Cost Plus World Market, Joann's, Michaels, Target, and Wal-Mart are where I do all my post-Holiday sales raiding. icon_lol.gif

EDIT: DOH! Forgot to add Party City to the list. Great place to stock up on cookie boxes and bags!

jojo0676 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jojo0676 Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 8:30pm
post #9 of 17

LOL, Debi. That's the only way I buy wrapping paper. I haven't bought any in about 5 years but need to go after Christmas this year and replenish the stash.

Another thing at Wal-mart, the plastic cookie/ goodie containers, they're already cheap but even better after Christmas. And, paper boxes. I buy a ton of them to have all year. Oh, and tissue paper.

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 12:17am
post #10 of 17

I like to buy the white robe boxes after xmas they are great for sheet cakes. Also, i buy all the ribbon i can get my hands on.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 12:39am
post #11 of 17

Last year I raided three Michael's stores and bought pounds and pounds of the 4 oz Ghirardelli baking bars in various cocoa percentages for like 38 cents a bar.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 12:55am
post #12 of 17

Oooh good thread.

For those of us who want to use plastic containers instead of cardboard boxes for delivering. I salivate over those wreath holders every year--now you might have to lob off that knob in the middle--find the right kind that either has a flat lid or a flat bottom--but I think they would be super for delivering big fat round cakes.

And there seems to be more of a selection during the holidays and into January--a former boss of mine used to use the rectangle shaped plastic containers to deliver her cakes--it worked great--she could take several small tiers in one box even using the nubbly shelf liner. It's a very nice & secure way to deliver but then you gotta assemble on site.

Just a thought...

misserica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misserica Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 7:52pm
post #13 of 17

I am with Indy, I go for the wrapping paper, tags and other packaging items. Two years ago I bought ornaments at Pier One for .50 (pretty fancy pants ones too). I also shop a lot at Hallmark so I get coupons all the time, after Christmas I will go and buy my Christmas cards for next year on sale and then use my coupons on top of that.

K8 where do you go for the wreath containers? I do not really have a huge need for them but I like to keep somethings around. I am clumsy so cardboard boxes and I do not get along. I have been buying my plastic containers from the bakery I work in but they are not such a great deal.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 9:38pm
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by misserica

K8 where do you go for the wreath containers? I do not really have a huge need for them but I like to keep somethings around. I am clumsy so cardboard boxes and I do not get along. I have been buying my plastic containers from the bakery I work in but they are not such a great deal.

I've seen them at Target. Probably at all the big stores like that.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 9:39pm
post #15 of 17

If you have a big freezer, we try to buy small turkeys after Thanksgiving and Christmas. we like turkey all year long and *IF* you can find a turkey in the summer, the price is unbelieveable! But buying them dirt cheap after the holidays, then throwing them in the freezer, we can have a great turkey dinner for any celebration, no matter what time of year.

One year, I had 3 in the freezer, so I donated one to our adopted needy family at work. That was a great feel good moment! thumbs_up.gif

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 9:46pm
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

If you have a big freezer, we try to buy small turkeys after Thanksgiving and Christmas. we like turkey all year long and *IF* you can find a turkey in the summer, the price is unbelieveable! But buying them dirt cheap after the holidays, then throwing them in the freezer, we can have a great turkey dinner for any celebration, no matter what time of year.

One year, I had 3 in the freezer, so I donated one to our adopted needy family at work. That was a great feel good moment! thumbs_up.gif

Even if you can't get a small one, get a thawed large turkey and debone and cut up, I have one in pieces right now in the freezer. Got a fresh butterball for 39 cents a pound right after thanksgiving.

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 25 Dec 2009 , 4:13pm
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by peg818

I like to buy the white robe boxes after xmas they are great for sheet cakes. Also, i buy all the ribbon i can get my hands on.

Where do you buy these at?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%