How To Make Big Fake Rocks??

Decorating By Bon_Bon Updated 28 Dec 2009 , 6:05am by Cake_Mooma

Bon_Bon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bon_Bon Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 6:13am
post #1 of 11

am doing a fishing spot that i fish in ans it has huge gray rocks how can i make them come to life

10 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 6:22am
post #2 of 11

Make them out of rice krispie treats, covered with melted chocolate icon_biggrin.gif

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 7:41am
post #3 of 11

Grey, black and or brown fondant/ gumpaste marbled together (not too much or it'll all become one color)then roll into various odd shapes. Start with a little ball then squish and form each one a little differently. Hope this helps, good luck!

verisimilitude Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
verisimilitude Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 10:29am
post #4 of 11

I do the same as Jeep_girl. I use white fondant marbled with cocoa as well, just to give it a bit of a natural look. They always turn out looking very realistic - I had someone freak out about the kids "eating the rocks" because she thought I'd used real rocks as decoration icon_smile.gif

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 2:13am
post #5 of 11

Are you wanting smooth river rocks, or jaggedy lava type rocks? In my pictures I made the latter for my duck and winter scene cakes. The directions require a lot of typing which I am loath to do if that is not the effect you want. (I am a painfully slow typist). PM me if you want that type. Otherwise, I use gumpaste or fondant as described. (One advantage to the lava type is that, when crushed, it make excellent gravel.)

Mike_Elder Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike_Elder Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 3:44am
post #6 of 11

I'd sculpt them by hand from fondant. you can marble them using a little bit of grey and white kneaded together until you like the color, but a light shot from the underside is the only way to really make em "POP" rocks weather from the environment so they are normally darker on bottom light on top. I often place all mine on a work surface covered in paper towel and hit them with a little black, brown, blue or green. depending on the color you want
hope that helps?
Mike

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 7:52am
post #7 of 11

I cover rice krispy treats with marbled fondant.

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 7:21pm
post #8 of 11

Please be sure to post a picture of your completed cake. It sounds like it will be a beautiful cake. (I just love making scenes...)

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 27 Dec 2009 , 3:14am
post #9 of 11

If you want to use BC, this is an option: I made cake balls out of frozen cake bits and used BC the same color as mountain (in my cave cake photo) for the boulders. This is more of a Rocky Mountain look, as we live near the Rockies and it was the look I was going for. I mixed black, some terracotta and a bit of moss green. I used raisins for the really small rocks around the cave entrance. The photo really doesn't do it justice. I had also frozen the iced cake and it bled when it defrosted. It looked much better before, but I could only fix it so much. icon_smile.gif

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 27 Dec 2009 , 4:09am
post #10 of 11

For the rocks on my train cake, I used melted white chocolate with a bit of milk chocolate in it for a gray color. For the small ones I used a rock mold for a model railray. For the big ones, I used crumpled up foil, made a sort of mold, poured in the chocolate and it made perfect rock outcroppings. I have pictures but they are too big to post.

Cake_Mooma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Mooma Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 6:05am
post #11 of 11

I mix bits and pieces of the leftover MMF from other cakes, greens, grays, black and whatever other dark color I might have and I just mix them until I get the color I am looking for. I look at the "rock" and I find the darker spots and try to make that the bottom of the rock. I like the shadow look from the dark to the lighter on the top. I hope it all makes sense. I make them in different sizes to make them look more natural.

Vic

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%