Need Help With Modeling A Sitting Santa Claus.

Decorating By BakingGirl Updated 24 Dec 2009 , 3:20am by CC22504

BakingGirl Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 5:24am
post #1 of 9

Does anybody know if there is a website with pictures on how to model figures in different poses? I am trying to do a seated Santa Claus but I am having so much trouble getting it right. Right now Santa is kind of looking like a sad sack of potatoes. I don't have any figures around the house I can look at either, which I normally what I would resort to. I have searched for clay figure modeling online but not getting any useful hits so far.

If you know of any good sites that might be of help can you please let me know!

8 replies
sherrycanary62 Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 10:57am
post #2 of 9

this is the one I used for my christmas cake

hth

BakingGirl Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 2:48pm
post #3 of 9

Thank you so much sherrycanary62 for those two links. The Youtube video is great, just what I needed. Between the picture and the video hopefully I am able to come up with the style of Santa that I need for my cake. Thankfully my CC friends are there to help me out when my skills are not quite up to the job. Thanks again!

FlourPots Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 7:25pm
post #4 of 9

Here's a photo step-by-step (click NEXT): http://www.pastrywiz.com/cakes/christmas.htm

BakingGirl Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 8:38pm
post #5 of 9

Thanks FlourPots - another great tutorial to add to my new Santa collection. Love the Santa's facial expression, it is just what I am looking for!

FlourPots Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 9:58pm
post #6 of 9

You're welcome icon_smile.gif .

Mike_Elder Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 4:05am
post #7 of 9

be sure you put something in his body for support!! fondant will sag and "melt" all night long and a body you made 3 inches tall will be half that in the morn!! at the least use rice core. I have a sack full of old dry fondant balls and "eggs" I use or there's always a small piese of foam, after all whose going to eat your lil Santa??
hope that helps
Mike
btw i have a hand sculpted santa in my album on CC

BakingGirl Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 5:05am
post #8 of 9

Hi Mike. I love your flying Santa! How did you get him to stand up without sagging? Did you lay him down to dry? I know what you mean about the shrinking fondant figures, I made some penguins a couple of years ago and ended up with some shrivelled up little wrinkly things the next morning. The outside dried up much quicker than the inside so the dry outside kept wrinkling as the soft inside kept sagging and settling. I re-did in pure fondant and found the dried much more nicely than doing them in gumpaste. What are the "eggs" you are talking about?? Bits of left over dry fondant?

All I need now is some time to actually get to work on my Santa, been to busy to get down to it. Tomorrow is another day....

CC22504 Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 3:20am
post #9 of 9

This is a great tutorial on youtube..it should help. She does great work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9upG-QF7G_c&feature=channel

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%