Getting Rid Of Fondant Creases At Bottom Of My Cakes

Decorating By tuthfairy Updated 23 Dec 2009 , 10:41am by indydebi

tuthfairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tuthfairy Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 3:36am
post #1 of 9

This was my first time covering a cake with fondant. It was square, so I don't know if that matters. I tired to get a good corner, then put any excess on the sides and smoothe. But I could never amoothe out all the creases of overlapped fondant. I tied adding a little shortening as I see people have suggested, but that didn't work. Are round cakes easier? Maybe I won't have that same problem with rounds, but I still need to know how to handle this problem. Thanks

8 replies
sarahsarah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahsarah Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 3:50am
post #2 of 9

Round cakes are about 100 times easier. Definitely practice on those until you get the hang of it, then go for the square cakes.

Be sure to roll your fondant thick enough to stretch over the sides, about 1/4" thick is what i shoot for.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 4:14am
post #3 of 9

aine2.. a c/cer is showing how to cover a square cake on youtube.. it will help you a lot. then there are others on youtube.. also. show how.. ateco.com show a square cake too i think. and then satinice.com .. shows how. planetcake on youtube show how.. so... just look it up.. and you will be glad you did..hth

sherrycanary62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherrycanary62 Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 11:05am
post #4 of 9

here is Lorraine McKays video (Aine2) she also has videos on vimeo

" rel="nofollow">

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 2:45pm
post #5 of 9

See I think round cakes are harder because they have more wrinkles to deal with. icon_wink.gif

Did you have your cake elevated when you were working on it? This helps from having all the fondant gathered right there at the bottom. When I am smoothing any cake I start at the top and work around the first inch then move down and work all the way around the next inch until I get to the bottom. This helps from having that big wrinkle of fondant to have to deal with in the end. On square cakes I usually pull the fondant out and away from the cake as I am smoothing, stretching it a little if I need to get a wrinkle out.

luvmysmoother Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvmysmoother Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 4:00pm
post #6 of 9

Youtube does have great tutorials for covering square cakes with fondant - they make sure there's enough fondant to completely cover the entire cake (plus a bit more), do the corners first and keep fussing with it and smoothing the sides until it's all perfecticon_smile.gif

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 4:14pm
post #7 of 9

I'm with you TexasSugar... I think squares are easier too (unless it's a small one). Make sure you are lifting the fondant as you smooth down and that you aren't smoothing it all straight down until you have a huge bunch up in one area... try to take care of the excess as you go. That probably doesn't make sense, but it's hard to explain without doing it. I don't elevate my cakes to apply fondant... I think it's easier to just do it on the counter.

Mike_Elder Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike_Elder Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 4:15am
post #8 of 9

Hi there! I'd say it's all in the technique! I never ever cover any cake on a turn table or stand! reason being that you want the fondant to rest on the table and not hang and stretch. I try to have my sheet quite a bit larger so that it can sit farther away from the sides. then you carefully "skirt" the sides slowly allowing the fondant togather into itself. Just as fondant stretches it should "shrink" back together if you work it right!! just go slow!! once you get a wrinkle.... it's there! The main thing I suggest is keep trying and you should get it!! if not come see me and I'll show you!! LOL Margarete Braun didn't call me the fondant King for Nothin!!! LOL
Mike

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 10:41am
post #9 of 9

I'm with Texas .. I prefer square cakes (in all regards .... fondant, BC, you name it!). It's like I can do one side at a time and it doesn't impact the other sides!

Start with the corners. THere shouldn't be any 'overlap' of the fondant. As someone mentioned above, pull it out away from the cake like it's "skirted" then smooth it back into place. I like to elevate the cake just a smidget .... like an inch. It give the fondant room to hang below the cake without bunching, yet I still have the advantage of the fondant resting on the counter surface w/o overstretching itself and tearing, like Mike mentioned.

My very first fondant cake that I got thrown into at the last minute was square. I only had to peel the fondant off of my first tier twice before I got it right! icon_lol.gif So with just a little practice, fondant is almost too easy to work with. You'll get there faster than you think! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%