Before I Decide To Buy...

Decorating By CNCS Updated 23 Dec 2009 , 2:06am by MarlaQuack

CNCS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CNCS Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 12:22am
post #1 of 5

some cake dummies. Are they reusable and how smooth is the surface texture.

All the years Ive been a decorator it has never occured to me to invest in some until recently.

Any input will be appreciated.

4 replies
jenncowin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenncowin Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 12:36am
post #2 of 5

Yes, you can reuse the dummies. Just soak the royal icing off, let them dry VERY well and they're ready to go again. The surface is pretty smooth, I've done several display cakes and haven't had a problem with them.

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 12:36am
post #3 of 5

Yes, they are reusable, over and over again. Just wash them and leave them out to dry. They are not super smooth, however. I've put a layer of clear packing tape over them and it helps a bit, but the best way to get a smooth surface is to ice it with BC as you would a cake. It depends on what you are going to use them for. If I am going to just practice with them and take a picture, honestly I don't worry about icing them as the pictures tend to not show the divots and unsmooth surface quite as much. But if you are going to be using it as a display cake, then they are easily iced and look as smooth as a real cake. They're a great investment. I bought a bunch a couple months ago and have been having a blast cranking out all sorts of designs to build up my portfolio.

CNCS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CNCS Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 1:49am
post #4 of 5

Thanks I'm definately going to buy some.

MarlaQuack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MarlaQuack Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 2:06am
post #5 of 5

I found them more of a challenge than I expected, because everything I tried to use to get them smooth did not work. I started with 1 thin layer and let that dry before adding a second thin layer.

Pictures on the blog http://idreambuttercream.blogspot.com/

Good Luck
Marla

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%