In A Funk...(Sorry, Long)

Lounge By tracycakes Updated 23 Dec 2009 , 2:13am by Ruth0209

tracycakes Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 9:48pm
post #1 of 6

I'm just so down and I don't know why. I started my business officially on Sept. 1 but it is part-time. December has been my best month yet but I'm so down and can't get excited about the Christmas cakes I have.

Maybe I'm just tired because I still work fulltime at a job I hate and despise and I spend nights and weekends at the shop.

I LOVE to buy presents and decorate for Christmas but this year, hasn't happened. I've bought 1 gift, which isn't wrapped, and I don't even have my tree up. My brother and is family is at my house and I've been able to spend about 2 hours total with them in a week. I have 3 Christmas cakes due Christmas Eve and another cake due the day after Christmas and I just can't get excited about them. I just want to do what's quick and easy and that's not me at all.

And, I did my first car cake last week, for a co-workers 4 year old son. It was the Jimmie Johnson 48 car. I didn't get to see her when she got it. So, I saw her today and asked her if she got it. She said very solemnly "yes, he loved it. " She had been so excited about it before so I'm wondering if he liked it but she thought it was awful. That just put a cap on my day.

I know we have those days but this is not like me at all. Maybe I"m just having my own pity party. thanks for listening.

5 replies
JanH Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 10:10pm
post #2 of 6
Originally Posted by tracycakes

Maybe I'm just tired because I still work fulltime at a job I hate and despise and I spend nights and weekends at the shop.

Chronic stress can be very debilitating. And feeling down or depressed when you're overstressed and/or overworked is not uncommon.

I hope your caking takes off in 2010 so that you can quit the job you hate and concentrate on the one that makes you happy. thumbs_up.gif

You create beautiful cakes, so please don't doubt yourself. Your co-worker might have her own problems or could have been preoccupied, and didn't mean anything at all by her less than enthusiastic response.

Here's something I hope cheers you up... icon_biggrin.gif

Go placidly amid the noise and the haste,
and remember what peace there may be in silence.

As far as possible, without surrender,
be on good terms with all persons.
Speak your truth quietly and clearly;
and listen to others,
even to the dull and the ignorant;
they too have their story.
Avoid loud and aggressive persons;
they are vexatious to the spirit.

If you compare yourself with others,
you may become vain or bitter,
for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.
Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.
Keep interested in your own career, however humble;
it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.

Exercise caution in your business affairs,
for the world is full of trickery.
But let this not blind you to what virtue there is;
many persons strive for high ideals,
and everywhere life is full of heroism.
Be yourself. Especially do not feign affection.
Neither be cynical about love,
for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment,
it is as perennial as the grass.

Take kindly the counsel of the years,
gracefully surrendering the things of youth.
Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune.
But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings.
Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.

Beyond a wholesome discipline,
be gentle with yourself.
You are a child of the universe
no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God,
whatever you conceive Him to be.
And whatever your labors and aspirations,
in the noisy confusion of life,
keep peace in your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.
Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.

MalibuBakinBarbie Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 1:31am
post #3 of 6

Jan, you're wonderful! I love Desiderata! My mom has it on a plaque that has hung in every home we've lived in since I was a little girl. Very special. Thanks for sharing it with tracycakes. tracycakes, sounds like you've got a lot on your plate right now with working two jobs, and add one of the biggest holidays of the year on top? Do whatever you can to hold on to peace and happiness. Take some "YOU" time every day, even if it's just 15 minutes, or "moments" throughout the day. I hope that the new year brings you the opportunity to follow your dreams. Best wishes are being sent to you for a blessed and merry Christmas, too. icon_smile.gif

sherrycanary62 Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 11:58am
post #4 of 6

Jan...that was amazing.....thank you so much for sharing it.

Beautiful words to live by

tracycakes Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 1:50pm
post #5 of 6

Thank you everyone, especially Jan! Those are beautiful words and so very true.

I went to the shop last night to make buttercream for cakes for Christmas Eve and discovered that I had enough icing. I just covered some dummy cakes in fondant for a wedding cake for a bridal fair and called it done. the first time ever that I did not want to be there. So, we left and back home by 8:00.

I knew it would be stressful. However, I love Christmas and decorating my house and shopping and I've done none of it, at all.

Actually, I have no reason to be down. I am so blessed that I have a job when so many other people don't. I have a business that I'm starting when so many others have had to close their business. I have a supportive and wonderful husband so many others have husbands that aren't. I have money to buy gifts when so many others don't.

I am so blessed and I am very grateful for all that I have. It was very selfish of me to even think of being down when I have so much. Thank you all very much and please forgive my ramblings. icon_redface.gif

Ruth0209 Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 2:13am
post #6 of 6

Jan, thank you for posting that. I needed to read it, too. That was a very nice Christmas gift!

Tracy, don't ever feel like you have to minimize your own feelings just because other people have it worse. It's good to remember that just to keep things in perspective, but you still feel how you feel and that's all right.

It sounds like you have a lot on your plate and a lot of change in your life. Sometimes when you just say, "My life is crazy right now and it's perfectly natural to feel this way" it can neutralize the feeling. Once you give yourself permission to feel it, it takes the power out of it for you.

I hope you enjoy your Christmas! And if it's just too much to do the Christmas tree this year, let all those guests do it for you. Tell them you need the help and I'll bet they'll all be happy to pitch in.

Quote by @%username% on %date%