Any Vegans Out There??

Baking By riSHEL Updated 22 Dec 2009 , 5:18am by revskg

riSHEL Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 9:22pm
post #1 of 9

I often make NFSC or Cinnamon Spice cookies for my family. I noticed that a niece doesn't eat them. I didn't think much of it, until someone told me that she doesn't eat them because she's vegan. I'd love to make some decorated Christmas cookies that she too can enjoy, do any of you know of a roll-out sugar cookie recipe that is Vegan approved? Also, I could still decorate them with RI, as it requires meringue powder (that doesn't count as a 'real' egg to them, does it?), right?

8 replies
Mensch Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 9:24pm
post #2 of 9

Meringue powder derived from egg white, so yes, it does count as a real egg to 'them'.

Most granulated sugar is filtered through bone char, so check that, too. There is vegan sugar available.

TexasSugar Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 9:28pm
post #3 of 9

As Mensch said meringue powder is made from egg whites, look at the ingredients on the side of the can. Also, as was said, depending on how strict she is she may not eat regular powder sugar.

And some fondants are made with gelatine, which is another no no, so if you go the fondant route with the icing, check into that.

Your best bet is to look for some vegan websites for recipes and or ideas, that way you have the information you need to make it something she will be able to eat.

Mensch Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 9:41pm
post #4 of 9

A certified kosher pareve fondant will most likely be vegan, but check for egg just to be sure.

riSHEL Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 4:18am
post #5 of 9

Thank you both SO much for the info!

Christen99 Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 4:42am
post #6 of 9

My ds had several food allergies, and we had to be very careful with what he ate for several years. We used Ener-G egg replacer, which is vegan and you just add one extra "egg" to whatever you are baking. I was able to adapt most recipes to his allergies (egg and dairy). You can also use soy margarine, which should be fine for baking. If you have a natural food store, that's the easiest place to stock up but check your local grocery store as well (you just have to make sure you know all the animal product names). As Mensch stated, check the sugar as well.

aundrea Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 4:45am
post #7 of 9

i just tried using vegan sugar for the first time (couple of weeks ago for a cake)- it was available at whole foods. it is alot more money than regular sugar (ex-domino's). and its definatley not as sweet as regular sugar. i had never used it before and wish i had known that because i would have a bit more to my cake mix. also i noticed that when sifted- there were some type of granuals left in my sifter. which was strange.
thats about all i can help you with the vegan thing. good luck!

revskg Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 5:12am
post #8 of 9

I am a vegetarian, but I do some baking for vegan friends. This is the best sugar cookie recipe I have found. If you have a Whole Foods Market near you they will have all the ingredients.

PERFECT VEGAN SUGAR COOKIE RECIPE
This makes about 36 cookies.

1 cup vegan margarine
3 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup white sugar 2 teaspoons baking powder
2 whole egg replacements (Ener-G)
1/4 cup tofu cream cheese (Tofutti)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions:
1. In a large bowl, cream together the margarine and sugar. Stir in the egg replacements and vanilla. Gradually add the flour, baking powder and tofu cream cheese. You may have to use your hands at this point to finish the mixing. Form the dough into a long loaf and wrap in cellophane. Refrigerate for a couple hours.
2. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease the cookie sheets or use parchment
3. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut into desired shapes with cookie cutters. Place about 1 inch apart on sheets.
4. Bake for 12 to 14 minutes in the preheated oven, until bottoms and edges just start to get light brown. Remove from baking sheet and cool on wire racks. Store in an airtight container.

PERFECT VEGAN ICING RECIPE
Each batch is enough to easily coat 24 cookies. We made four batches, one for each color.

2 cups confectioners' sugar
1/2 teaspoon of almond extract
6-8 teaspoons of soy milk (Silk Vanilla)
Assorted food coloring
4 teaspoons of light corn syrup

Directions:
1. In medium bowl, stir together confectioners' sugar and soy milk until smooth. Beat in corn syrup and almond extract until icing is smooth and glossy. If icing is too thick, add more corn syrup.
2. Add food coloring to desired intensity. Dip cookies and allow to dry overnight.

revskg Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 5:18am
post #9 of 9

One more thing that might help. Most Duncan Hines Cake Mixes are vegan (Look for the ones marked OU PARVE). You can use these as the basis for some cookie recipes also.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%