Just An Intro/hello!

Decorating By DebbyJG Updated 27 Dec 2009 , 11:10pm by costumeczar

DebbyJG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebbyJG Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 7:48pm
post #1 of 8

Hi everyone!
I've been lurking around this board for a few months now, so I thought I should finally introduce myself. I'm a homeschooling mom of three, children ages almost 8, 5, and 3. I'm a cake decorating hobbyist, and I am finding that I LOVE making cakes. I love creating art that can then be completely destroyed and EATEN instead of sitting on a shelf. LOL I love that people love the way my cakes look, but even more important to me is that they taste good, and are made with real ingredients. I make my own buttercreme made out of real butter and not Crisco, and everyone I've made a cake for can really tell the difference.

I've been coming to visit Cake Central for awhile now to find recipes, but it's frustrated me a lot because most of the recipes I see posted are for cakes that start with cake mixes. I can't stand using any hydrogenated oil, which all non-organic cake mixes feature, so I make all of my cakes from scratch. I've yet to find a good, moist white cake recipe yet, though. If anyone has one they'd like to share I would LOVE to try it.

I started decorating cakes when my dd7 had her first birthday, and I've been trying to improve ever since. It's now gotten to the point that I'm making my own fondant (again, the hydrogenated issue) and gum paste, whch I've had a lot of fun with!
Within the last month, I've had two friends-of-friends ask me to make a cake for them. I'm just really enjoying this more and more.

If you want to see some of the cakes I've made, they are postedon Flickr at http://www.flickr.com/photos/debbygerth/sets/72157604623673263/

Merry Christmas everyone! I'm so glad to have found a forum for people with a passion for cakes also! icon_smile.gif

7 replies
tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 8:02pm
post #2 of 8

Welcome to CC DebbyJG! This is the most helpful site you'll find for cake decorating. Doesn't matter if you bake from scratch or box everyone is welcome here to share and gain knowledge.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 27 Dec 2009 , 2:41pm
post #3 of 8

Welcome Debby!!!!!

Jen icon_smile.gif

alene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alene Posted 27 Dec 2009 , 3:07pm
post #4 of 8

Welcome DebbyJG! If you love baking/decorating cakes, you will love this site.

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 27 Dec 2009 , 8:33pm
post #5 of 8

Welcome!!!

DebbyJG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebbyJG Posted 27 Dec 2009 , 9:52pm
post #6 of 8

Thanks everyone! I've already learned so much since finding this site - and the more time I spend here, the more I've loved it. icon_smile.gif

Spuddysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spuddysmom Posted 27 Dec 2009 , 11:07pm
post #7 of 8

Welcome! Have fun learning more and more.... if you've been lurking for any length of time you already know that the whole mix vs. scratch is subject which has been beaten to death. Whichever way you choose to bake you are certain to find lots of good ideas (and recipes).

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 27 Dec 2009 , 11:10pm
post #8 of 8

To improve the mouthfeel of a white cake, increase the fat by using half and half instead of milk, and substitute one whole egg for one egg white in the recipe. I bake from scratch, too, and I find this helps white cakes. Then you just have to find a recipe where you like the flavor.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%