First Time Making A Tiered Cake....any Advice Appreciated!

Decorating By Niki11784 Updated 24 Dec 2009 , 2:46am by Niki11784

Niki11784 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Niki11784 Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 2:30am
post #1 of 7

Hi, I am going to attempt to make a 3 tiered cake- 12'',10'' and 8''. I know I sound like a novice...I am!! I got long dowels to go straight through the cake, but are lollipops sticks ok to use between layers? Any links you can send me with tips?

6 replies
Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 2:43am
post #2 of 7

With those size tiers, you'll need something a little more substantial then lollipop sticks....use either wooden or plastic dowels (can be found at Michael's, Joann's or Hobby Lobby).

Hopefully JanH will post some of her great links....she has an entire library of them. icon_lol.gif

Good luck!

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 2:45am
post #3 of 7

Here's a link that Jan just posted in someone else's thread:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-605188-.html

She said that it's all the info needed to make stacked cakes. HTH!!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 3:32am
post #4 of 7

lollipop sticks suck up moisture from the cake and collapse. (Bad idea.)

Can I talk you into using SPS?

|
|
|
V

Niki11784 Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 1:58am
post #5 of 7

I know SPS is supposed to be amazing...not ready to invest in the system yet. For now I bought the wooden dowels. I have to travel three hours to deliver the cake ( its for family icon_smile.gif) I am assuming I should assemble it on site, right? Is there a chance it would make it in decent shape if I assemble it before with wooden dowels, and a central dowel?

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 2:27am
post #6 of 7

Be careful about over doweling too, it will compromise the structure of your cake. I'm sure a three hour drive, assembled, can be done but would be incredibly stressful and risky for a beginner especially if your not used to transporting cakes. Maybe try just two layers and stack the third when you get there, two should be steady enough for three hours in a car, good luck!

Niki11784 Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 2:46am
post #7 of 7

Thats a really good idea to do two layers, and the last when I get there- Thanks! I planned on doing 5 dowels on each layer, with a sixth going down the middle- sound ok?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%