Christmas Dinner Dessert???

Lounge By sweetcakes Updated 23 Dec 2009 , 11:47pm by sweetcakes

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 2:02am
post #1 of 19

Do you have a traditional desert that you serve on Christmas day? any kind of dessert doesn;t have to be cake. We're going to a friends house for Christmas day and im in charge of dessert. Looking for lots of options.

18 replies
Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 2:09am
post #2 of 19

We had our Christmass Dinner last weekend - we have a gathering around the table for those of us who have no family in this state...
All noisey 16 of us - lol

As the weather was 39C = 108F i decided to make something refreashing - icon_wink.gif

A vanilla bean Pan A Cota - with a fresh Mango and Strawberry Salsa on the side served in Liquere Glasses.
Devine it was - and so lovely and light after such a heavy meal.
Speckled with the black vanilla beans, they looked lovely on the white plates.

Easy to transport (as long as they are kept cold) as you don't remove from moulds until you are ready to serve.

Bluehue.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 2:29am
post #3 of 19

I'm going to make a Tres Leches cake this year. We always have Mexican food for Christmas dinner.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 2:41am
post #4 of 19

I'm a big fan of this...Double chocolate tangerine mousse cake (it's a flourless torte with mousse on top.) I made it for Thanksgiving and everyone loved it. Every time I make it it gets big kudos. Very rich but so worth it, and if you use orange juice concentrate instead of the tangerine juice you don't have to reduce the juice! thumbs_up.gif http://www.bit.ly/5UAHT0

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 3:11am
post #5 of 19

Cheesecake is always a good dessert. There was a thread around Thanksgiving that was desserts that weren't cakes, that may give you an idea.

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 1:45pm
post #6 of 19

Our traditional Christmas desserts are Jam Cake and Stack Pie.

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 1:47pm
post #7 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohsmomma

Our traditional Christmas desserts are Jam Cake and Stack Pie.

What is stack pie? I've never heard of it before and I'm intrigued!!

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 2:04pm
post #8 of 19

christmas pudding!!!!! mmm... with ice cream, cream or brandy butter icon_smile.gif
i made an awesome roulade, which was good too!
xx

HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 2:45pm
post #9 of 19

It's the Year of the Pie this year LOL. Just how things worked out.

We always do mince pies ~ that's a must. I'm also making a cinnamon pecan pie with homemade tahitian vanilla bean ice cream, and a chocolate mousse pie (chocolate cookie crust, dark chocolate mousse, whipped cream, shaved chocolate). There will be leftover pie crust, so probably also jam tarts.

Carson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carson Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 3:12pm
post #10 of 19

We always have White Chocolate Candy Cane Cheesecake - so delicious!

hilly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hilly Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 4:30pm
post #11 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carson

We always have White Chocolate Candy Cane Cheesecake - so delicious!

YUM! Recipe?

Carson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carson Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 4:47pm
post #12 of 19

http://www.kraftcanada.com/en/recipes/white-chocolate-candy-cane-cheesecake-86839.aspx

Not a secret family recipe or anything, but it does get rave reviews everytime I make it for someone new. And in my opinion, it can serve a lot more people than 12, the smaller pieces seem like just enough for most people.

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 5:41pm
post #13 of 19

We usually have a Hummingbird Cake, and either a caramel cake or Lemon Cheese Cake (similar to lemon curd, this is not to be confused with cheesecake).

hilly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hilly Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 8:14pm
post #14 of 19

Thanks! Can't wait to make it! icon_smile.gif

ShelleyMJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShelleyMJ Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 8:23pm
post #15 of 19

A family tradition handed down from my fathers side of the family. It's like a fruit, marshmellow desert. Not watergate salad but kind of...

Marshmellows, fruit cocktail, cherries, pecans, bananas, whipped cream, mandarin oranges, also has a little whipped cream, mayonaise and cottage cheese.

I know it might not sound real good, but it really is.

You whip it all up and put it in the frig over night (minus the nuts and banana)

Can't can't make enough of it.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 6:02am
post #16 of 19

I might try to make a buche de noel this year. Plus there's the ton of cookies I've already made. icon_biggrin.gif

jules06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules06 Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 10:48am
post #17 of 19

bluehue, I love pannacotta !!! I usually make an ice-cream dessert - vanilla ice-cream with raspberries, crushed meringue & custard all mixed up together...yummmm !! icon_biggrin.gif I also love a traditional christmas pudding with brandy custard icon_smile.gif

auntmamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntmamie Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 1:17am
post #18 of 19

I'm making a chocolate torte with raspberry filling, coated in poured ganache. This is my first Christmas home in three years, so I'm not sure what is traditional anymore!

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 11:47pm
post #19 of 19

thank you all for your suggestions, ive been panning through my recipe books, allrecipes website and here. theres so many great choices i just cant make up my mind. im doing the traditional mince pies (im english) a walnut and coffee log, perhaps a buche de noel, and ive also got my eyes on canoli's, eclairs, and a cheesecake. ive got all the supplies to do it all, just have to see what time ive got. happy Christmas everyone!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%