Celebrating One Year Of Really Making Cakes!

Decorating By kitty122000 Updated 23 Dec 2009 , 4:31pm by Becky52

kitty122000 Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 2:00am
post #1 of 7

I started making my kids' cakes for their birthdays a few years ago. I really fell in love with caking when I discovered fondant last December when my son turned four. Well tomorrow is his 5th birthday and I made my first ever topsy turvy cake! I would love some feedback and any tips or suggestions on how to make my cakes look better!

The cake I made him for his 4th birthday is below and the 5th birthday cake is here: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1540549
LL

6 replies
IsaSW Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 2:17am
post #2 of 7

Fondant smoother, have you bought them yet. For fondant, you can't live with out it. If you get two, it makes your life so much easier and the smoothing goes faster on round or square cakes.

Teekakes Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 2:25am
post #3 of 7

Yes, I agree with getting a fondant smoother to get the lumpy look out. I have 3 of them total and never make a fondant cake without using them!
Your cake looks great though for your first ever TT! thumbs_up.gif Your characters are adorable! Keep up the good work and with each one you will learn something new. icon_smile.gif

MrsNancyB1 Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 2:58am
post #4 of 7

Happy 1 year anniversary! icon_biggrin.gif

I think you've definitely come a long way in the past year. Going from your first one, to tackling a TT is quite a feat. I agree with the PPs about investing in TWO fondant smoothers. I would also suggest giving your cakes time to settle after filling to try and alleviate some of the bulging. Other than that, I think you did a fine job with your first TT!

kitty122000 Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 5:27pm
post #5 of 7

Thanks for the tips and compliments! I agree, I need to get another smoother and you are right, I need to let them settle to avoid "the bulge" I think my biggest problem with the TT was I carved it fast and sloppy so that didn't help with the smoothness (is that a word?).

Texas_Rose Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 5:48pm
post #6 of 7

I never use the smoothers...I have them but don't use them. I chill the cake before I put the fondant on and that seems to help me get it smoother.

Anyhow, congrats on a year of really making cakes! I've been doing them for almost two years and I feel like I've learned a ton in that time. I'm like you, I'm counting from the time I started using fondant, because that's when I started being really happy with what I've made icon_biggrin.gif

Becky52 Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 4:31pm
post #7 of 7

Sorry to hijack this conversation but as far as the fondant smoothers go, I try using them but they stick to my fondant. Do you actually slide them across the fondant? Or just push? Do you put something on them such as corn starch? Congrats on your year anniversaryicon_smile.gif Mine is in February! Love cake decorating!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%