Royal Icing Ornaments

Decorating By ShellsSweetsIndy Updated 24 Dec 2009 , 6:42pm by sherrycanary62

ShellsSweetsIndy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShellsSweetsIndy Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 1:24am
post #1 of 40

Has anyone tried the royal icing ornaments seen on a cake challenge on food network? I think it was Michelle that piped royal icing on a balloon and let it dry then deflated it and removed leaving a very beautiful ornament. I am trying this but with a bigger balloon. Not sure how long to let it dry. Interested if anyone has successfully tried this.
LL

39 replies
redheadfairy2003 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redheadfairy2003 Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 1:52am
post #2 of 40

I saw the same show and wanted to try it also .... Let me know how it goes.Plz

ShellsSweetsIndy Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 1:55am
post #3 of 40

I piped two of them in case the first one popped, lol.

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 1:57am
post #4 of 40

did you grease the balloon first? just wondering if that would help it release easier.

ShellsSweetsIndy Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 2:00am
post #5 of 40

No I thought grease would breakdown the icing. I did dust the balloon with luster dust.

IsaSW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IsaSW Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 2:14am
post #6 of 40

I'm going to try this week, but I think I will add to the ballon strips of wax paper.
I'll let you know if it works.
Wait, now that I think about it, mine will be gumpaste on the balloon. Sort of the same concept I guess.

ShellsSweetsIndy Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 12:11pm
post #7 of 40

Well here is the results. The first one totally blew up when i let the air out of the balloon. The royal icing shattered to pieces when the balloon pulled away and it stuck. The second one my DH suggested taking it into the garage where it is cold and the balloon will shrink and pull away. So I tried that on the second one and everything was going really great and I was super excited. And instead of being patient i started poking at the balloon in some of the stuck spots. Which started to work until i hit the wrong spot and then kablooey it completely broke apart as well. I think if I could just figure out what to cover the balloon with so it will release it would really work. So going to do some internet searching and will report back if I find something. icon_biggrin.gif

ShellsSweetsIndy Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 12:23pm
post #8 of 40

Sweetcakes- am I incorrect in thinking that shortening will breakdown royal icing? If not I am sure that would work.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 1:12pm
post #9 of 40

I think shortening will prevent the royal from EVER setting up. I wonder how this would work with melted chocolate??? Then at least you'd only have to wait 10 min. between piping and popping the balloon to find out! lol I'm so impatient!!

ShellsSweetsIndy Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 1:49pm
post #10 of 40

Well I couldn't wait so I am trying the shortening. We will see how it works icon_biggrin.gif Going to let it sit in the house for about an hour then take it to the garage in the cold and see if it releases.

ShellsSweetsIndy Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 1:49pm
post #11 of 40

oooo melted chocolate would be awesome!!

KHalstead Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 3:17pm
post #12 of 40

is an hour long enough for it to sit? i would think that with royal, you'd
want to let it sit at least overnight!

ShellsSweetsIndy Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 1:28am
post #13 of 40

I let it sit for several hours and no luck. You were right the grease made the inside still soft even though the outside is dry. So trying something new. covered the balloon with saran wrap and piped on top of it. So will let it sit until tomorrow and see how it does.

HarleyDee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HarleyDee Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 4:25am
post #14 of 40

Waiting to see how this all turns out icon_smile.gif

ShellsSweetsIndy Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 1:07pm
post #15 of 40

Update.
1) used a smaller balloon. A little bigger than an orange. (the first one was a 9" party balloon).
2) Wrapped the balloon in saran wrap for release.
3) Saved 1/2 of it this time! I count that as a bit of success, lol!

The saran wrap stuck in some places but not all over and when i deflated the balloon it helped hold everything in place. I ended up with two large pieces that I thought I could glue together with RI. That is until i was moving my snowflakes and dropped one right on top of it icon_sad.gif. Of course it broke to complete pieces.

Soooo.....Try number three icon_smile.gif I am a persistent person, but I just KNOW there has to be a way to do this.

I have to go to the cake supply store today and will talk the woman who taught my classes and see if she can recommend anything.

KHalstead- Would I coat the balloon with grease for the chocolate?

Wish me luck!

haileysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
haileysmommy Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 1:24pm
post #16 of 40

they had a show on tlc last night. and a lady was making flowers with chocolates and she was using ballons. but she said that you have to grease them 2st.
hope this helps. i would love to see how these turn out.

tiffany

hollylikescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollylikescake Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 1:31pm
post #17 of 40

saving the post. if you get this to work, i would love to know how. very fun idea.

egensinnig Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
egensinnig Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 4:55pm
post #18 of 40

I've tried this but with a mix of gumpaste and RI. Result can be seen here
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1515156

The cake maybe a bot quirky but I still love it! And i put a lot of work into it....

This is how I did:

I used water ballons - slightly smaller than usual ballons - easier to make them completely round.
Covered the ballon with PS
Attached gumpaste leaves, stars and such and glued them together with RI.
Let dry over night
Inflated teh ballon as slowly as you can - I used the smalles nail I could find and made a tiny hole close to the knot so teh air released slooowly - and volia!

egensinnig Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
egensinnig Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 4:56pm
post #19 of 40

Sorry for all spelling mistakes icon_smile.gif I have a 2,5 yo sleeping on my arm

ruthi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ruthi Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 5:11pm
post #20 of 40

WOW - that is an awesome cake - I love how you did your ornaments.

HarleyDee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HarleyDee Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 5:13pm
post #21 of 40

Wow, those are gorgeous ornaments!

KHalstead Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 5:15pm
post #22 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellsSweetsIndy

KHalstead- Would I coat the balloon with grease for the chocolate?

Wish me luck!

I've never done it, but if it were me....I wouldn't grease the balloon...I would pipe the chocolate directy on (make sure it's not TOO hot or it could pop it) and then pop that puppy in the freezer and let it get good and hard and I would suspect the balloon should pop out pretty easily. Might not be a bad idea to pipe a couple layers though to ensure it is strong! Good luck!!

ShellsSweetsIndy Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 8:50pm
post #23 of 40

Gorgeous cake! Love the ornaments. Ok went to my teacher Ms. B and she suggested that I put piping gel in with my royal icing. this would help to release it. So going to give it another whirl. Will let you know how it turns out.

PinkLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkLisa Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 9:27pm
post #24 of 40

Great topic. I just watched that episode on Food Network and wanted to try that technique. I think I'll have to wait until after Christmas for my go at it. But I'm anxiously waiting to see how it works for you!

idgalpal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idgalpal Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 9:42pm
post #25 of 40

Oh sweet! I have some left over white chocolate - this sounds like just the project to practice on !

idgalpal Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 9:43pm
post #26 of 40

Oh sweet! I have some left over white chocolate - this sounds like just the project to practice on !

idgalpal Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 9:46pm
post #27 of 40

I just had an idea! I got some plain matte finished colored Christmas ball ornaments and used a silver medium point sharpie to write my kids name - really loopy and scrolly all over the balls. When you first look at them, they just look like ornaments with silver scrolls on them until you look close and see that it's actually 'Courtney' written all over the balls. I bet you could do this same thing with the chocolate or royal icing on the balloon. Maybe I'll give it a try. It if works out, I'll post pictures.

KHalstead Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 9:53pm
post #28 of 40

if I had some balloons I'd be so tempted to try one right now!!!!!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 10:45pm
post #29 of 40

OP: your 1st pic shows that you are not piping enough to make these ornaments hold together. The piping needs to be really close. No big holes - that weakens it.
Choco or gp should work well but royal will too if it is piped close together - lots of lines and allowed to dry overnight at least.

browniebatterer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
browniebatterer Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 12:17am
post #30 of 40

How fun is that? Great job!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%