ckimmie01 Posted 18 Jan 2007 , 5:34am
post #1 of

How do cut wooden dowel rods?Tried with kitchen scissors and it was terrible, dowel spli,etc.

20 replies
nglez09 Posted 18 Jan 2007 , 5:39am
post #2 of

I use a saw. It works great.

Which dowels are you using? There are some that already come sharpened and at the 4" point. They are by Wilton and are $3.99. thumbs_up.gif

cakequeen40 Posted 18 Jan 2007 , 5:40am
post #3 of

I use pruning sheers, just the ordinary garden type. Good luck

margery Posted 18 Jan 2007 , 5:51am
post #4 of

Ditto, pruning shears are awesome!!!

JoanneK Posted 18 Jan 2007 , 6:29am
post #5 of

I use a knife that is serrated and really meant for cutting breads and so on. It works perfect. I've tried the others and they didn't work well for me.

redpanda Posted 18 Jan 2007 , 6:41am
post #6 of

Ditto to the pruning shears. A kitchen shears that claims to be able to cut through chicken bones has also worked well. After cutting, I usually give the dowel a quick swish in water to remove any fine sawdust/splinters.

RedPanda

nefgaby Posted 18 Jan 2007 , 6:46am
post #7 of

I went to my local petco and got big dog nail clippers (for my cake use ONLY) They work like a charm!! Paid like $10 but are SOO worth the money!

Cake4ever Posted 18 Jan 2007 , 12:15pm
post #8 of

Toba Garrett says she uses candy/lollipop sticks. She says they're strong and easy to cut. I have not tried it yet, but will soon.

Tug Posted 18 Jan 2007 , 12:22pm
post #9 of

I use really thick and fat drinking straws. They are yery sturdy and cuts so easily.

Granpam Posted 18 Jan 2007 , 12:31pm

I use a wire cutter then sharpen to a point with a make up pencil sharpener. I use an emmery board to sand the flat end. Then wipe with a damp paper towel to remove any particles.

nglez09 Posted 18 Jan 2007 , 8:12pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanneK

I use a knife that is serrated and really meant for cutting breads and so on. It works perfect. I've tried the others and they didn't work well for me.

I should try that. . .it's probably just as good as the saw. Serrated things are good for cutting dowels.

Nefgaby- we'd hope so! thumbs_up.gif

Momof4luvscakes Posted 18 Jan 2007 , 8:17pm

My DH bought me a mini cut all saw for Christmas, and it works great!! No splintering etc. I can cut a ton of them in a matter of minutes. He bought it at Harbor Freight really cheap.

NEWTODECORATING Posted 18 Jan 2007 , 8:20pm

Nefgaby-I use large dog nail trimmers too! They work great!

mcalhoun Posted 18 Jan 2007 , 8:46pm

I use a pair of PVC cutters. Cuts the dowels easily.

nefgaby Posted 18 Jan 2007 , 10:41pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWTODECORATING

Nefgaby-I use large dog nail trimmers too! They work great!

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif I love them! And NO splinters, BTW!

Jenn123 Posted 19 Jan 2007 , 1:30am

Dog nail trimmers! No more problems

drwendy Posted 19 Jan 2007 , 3:34am

Dog nail trimmers are absolutely the way to go. Get the "Guillotine" kind, rather than the ones that look more like a pair of pliers. And for sharpening (to go through cake boards and dowel all the way through) I just use my eyeliner pencil sharpener from Avon!

mini-cake Posted 19 Jan 2007 , 3:45am

I use a pair of dog nail clippers that I got from Walmart. it works great!

nancys_world Posted 19 Jan 2007 , 11:48pm

They sell a mini mitre box and saw at Michaels made by Exacto. Just make sure you use your coupons. Works great. Dog trimmers sound cool and so does the PVC pipe cutter.

cakequeen40 Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 4:29am

I have tried the lollipop stick, and I did'nt think they were strong enough. I have heard of using straws but have been afraid to use them on wedding cakes. I would'nt think them strong enough.

NikkiDoc Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 4:44am

I haven't made a stacked cake yet and when I do, Ill keep all of this in mind. Large dog's nail trimmers...I never would have thought of that!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%