Tips On Working "clean" With Royal Icing?

Baking By KitchenConvert Updated 22 Dec 2009 , 4:51pm by kiki07

KitchenConvert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenConvert Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 10:22pm
post #1 of 6

Hi everyone,

I work primarily with royal icing for my sugar cookies, and after I've finished decorating--it is a mess!! Shattered royal icing bits on the floor, little dried RI "puddles" on the table, etc. I use glasses/cups to store bags of "flood" icing, and sometimes put a damp paper towel on the table to rest my bags on in between cookies, but any other suggestions? I also find that my hands get a fine layer of royal icing on them, which can drop RI "crumbs" onto the cookies (maybe I can keep a separate damp paper towel to wipe off any RI on my hands?).

Any suggestions are welcome! Or maybe I'm the only messy one...?

Thanks!

5 replies
Tiffany29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffany29 Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 10:57pm
post #2 of 6

I was going to suggest a wet paper towel or towel. I make a mess with that stuff too! I'm not sure there is any clean way to work with it! LOL

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 2:57am
post #3 of 6

I always keep a towel in my lap to wipe off my hands or any spilled surfaces.

cindy58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy58 Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 10:20am
post #4 of 6

My sugar/sprinkle jars are also a mess with dried icing on the sides where they're grabbed. It's a battle trying to keep it clean, everything needs to be wiped off when you're finished.

lchristi27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchristi27 Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 12:26pm
post #5 of 6

I use parchment to roll out my cookies, then use it again to put the cookies on while decorating so there is no mess on the table/counter. Prevents a lot of clean-up, just pick them up and toss.

Also, keep a damp towel nearby to wash off my hands icon_smile.gif.

Do you sprinkle sugars/coatings on the cookie? Lots of time I use a paper plate and put sprinkles on there and dip the cookie in it. Saves mess of stuff going everywhere, and very easy clean-up.

A dog is helpful for cleaning up the floor icon_smile.gif.

kiki07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kiki07 Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 4:51pm
post #6 of 6

I stand the bags in a glass when filling and whenever I have to set them down. That way I don't have any dribbles.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%