Covering A Cheesecake With Fondant?

Decorating By Cakeonista Updated 20 Dec 2009 , 8:11pm by scionmom

Cakeonista Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 3:50pm
post #1 of 5

I was wondering if I could actually cover a whole cheesecake with fondant and decorate as I would a regular cake? Would the fondant be too heavy? Have never done this but my family loves our traditional cheesecake for Christmas and I would love to be able to decorate it as a package. Any info.....?

4 replies
ibmoser Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 4:30pm
post #2 of 5

Guess that depends on your recipe. I have made Toba Garrett's recipe that has two layers of chocolate cake with a cheesecake layer between them and covered that in fondant with no problems, but that was a crustless, dense cheesecake recipe. Check out the website of Elegantcheesecakes dot com - all of theirs are covered with chocolate clay - absolutely gorgeous.

sugaah Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 4:41pm
post #3 of 5

I have covered a NY style cheesecake (dense) with fondant twice with no problem. It was a double layer cheesecake with cherry filling. Held up beautifully!!

Cakeonista Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 7:34pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks, I am going to try one this year. By the way that website is great ibmoser.

scionmom Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 8:11pm
post #5 of 5

I am sorry for hijacking your thread but where is a recipe for a good dense, crustless cheesecake? I have found alot but very little reviews on them, and I know I can trust the opinions here! TIA!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%