I'm Going Back To Being A Hobbyist....

Business By indydebi Updated 21 May 2015 , 2:59pm by solascakes

RobzC8kz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RobzC8kz Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 1:25am
post #121 of 193

Congratulations on your new begining!! I wish you the best on your next adventure!

I'm finally starting to enter the "legit" world myself, and I hope that I can make it last as long as you have.

tannersmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tannersmom Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 1:33am
post #122 of 193

Best wishes Debi! Thanks for all your insight that you have shared with us along the way.

Stephanie

CakeMom75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMom75 Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 1:39am
post #123 of 193

Awesome decorator, mentor AND you quote Journey...you rock! I know your clients will miss you. So glad we won't have to! Congrats on your new adventure!

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 1:56am
post #124 of 193

I am very sorry for your chronic pain issues, I can surely relate to that. But I am thrilled for you that new doors are opening for you. You lived one lifetime dream, and now you get to liove another! How blessed you are and good luck with everything! thumbs_up.gif

Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 2:02am
post #125 of 193

Best wishes Debi and remember not to lean up against the chalkboard and get chalk on your clothes...one of my teachers used to do that and when she'd turn around to write again on the board you could read the words on her back. icon_lol.gif

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 2:34am
post #126 of 193

Sound's like fun Indy! You deserve a break. I think you are going to have some great fun teaching. I bet we wind up seeing a few amazing show cakes from you to now that you are(finally) hooked on fondant. icon_wink.gif So now you get to play with icing on your terms. That is the fun part!

LOL @ Kellbella
But they have white boards now with colorful markers. I bet Indy doodles all over the place. thumbs_up.gif

Hey are we eventually going to have to call you DR. Indydebie...?

grannys3angels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grannys3angels Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 2:35am
post #127 of 193

Best wishes Debi, and may the new path you take lead you on a beautiful journey, that is filled with wonderful and exciting new things!

Huge "THANK YOU!" for all you have shared, tips, laughs, stories, advice, help and so much more, with everyone here on CC.

I just made a remark to my family last week, that I didn't think I could do it anymore, (as hobbyist)....due to the pain it causes me in my upper body. My 6yr. DGD said "does that mean you won't do my birthday cakes anymore?" Gota love her icon_lol.gif

What ever new road you take, I hope you dance!! thumbs_up.gif
God Bless,
Sharon

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 3:08am
post #128 of 193

good luck with the next chapter of your life. im sure whatever road you go down-it will be amazing journey.
atleast your're not leaving us here!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 3:20am
post #129 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannys3angels

What ever new road you take, I hope you dance!!

That reminds me of a line in a song that I just love .....

"WHen you get the chance to sit it out or dance ... I hope you dance!"

Let's keep the music playing and our feet moving! thumbs_up.gif

cas17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cas17 Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 3:42am
post #130 of 193

wow, i saw this thread and never in a million years would have guessed it was by indydebi! so very sorry about your chronic pain--i have suffered with TMJ from a car wreck i was in some 20 years ago myself. i hope that you will find some relief soon!

i have to say that all your words and illustrations of wisdom have guided me to persue my dreams of a successful cake business. i wish you all the best in the pursuit of your dreams!!
cindy

MalibuBakinBarbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MalibuBakinBarbie Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 4:05am
post #131 of 193

indydebi ~ I am so excited to hear about your new adventures! I haven't read this thread, but I know it's been said, that you have been such an inspiration and source of information and help to ALL of us! Sounds like you'll be keeping your eye on us though! icon_wink.gif Anyway, best of luck, happiness and success to you always! See ya! icon_razz.gif

Tiffany29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffany29 Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 4:39am
post #132 of 193
Quote:
Quote:

I love that song!

grannys3angels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grannys3angels Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 7:05am
post #133 of 193

Debi, I fell in love with that song and it's meaning the 1st. time I ever heard it in 2000.

I have said that line to my children when they left home, when they got married or had to take another path in their lives.

I also whisper it into the ears of my grandbabies when holding them for the 1st. time after being born.

Keeping the music going= "Move On Down The Road" icon_biggrin.gif

God Bless,
Sharon

SpringFlour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpringFlour Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 7:59am
post #134 of 193
Quote:
Quote:

But let's see if I can survive middle schoolers, first!

I'm not so sure this teaching thing is going to be a great fit...don't you know that middle-schoolers are a pain in the neck!?! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

What a fun and exciting time in your life...so many possibilities. Bravo for having the courage to "start over." I know MANY people don't challenge the staus quo, and aren't really satisfied with life. I hope that you can love your future endeavor as much as you've loved the caking business.

nelikate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nelikate Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 8:11am
post #135 of 193

Wow Debi that's big news!

Wishing you the best of luck and joy with your new adventures. I think you will make a wonderful teacher not only because you are always so willing to share your experience and knowledge with us but because it is something you have dreamed of doing.

Warmest regards for the holiday season and new year

Nel

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 2:31pm
post #136 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:

Debi, I love that song too. It really makes you want to just get out there and do. icon_smile.gif

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 6:50pm
post #137 of 193

Wow Indy! Congratulations to you as you embark on your new life and I wish I was there in IN to give you a great big hug.

I havent said much on CC, but I have been cut back on my bakery hours (bad economy, at least that is what I was told) over the summer and money has been extremely tight since I am only now part time. We also lost our health insurance benefits. I tried for almost 4 months to find another full time job and NO ONE was hiring! I decided last minute to give college a try and I went back this past Summer 2009 semester for the first time in almost 10 years. It was scary stuff!

I worked through it and just completed my Fall 2009 classes and I am well on my way to becoming a teacher as well. Its a long and hard and difficult road and I wont for one minute tell you that it is gonna be easy. There will be tears and deadlines and young whippersnappers that think that they are entitled and know everything already. Look past all of the trivial stuff and remember why you are there and you will somehow find your way through the muck. I know you will do great!

I wish you the best of luck and I hope to continue to see you around here on CC.

indydebi Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 6:59pm
post #138 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayde

There will be tears and deadlines and young whippersnappers that think that they are entitled and know everything already. Look past all of the trivial stuff and remember why you are there and you will somehow find your way through the muck. I know you will do great!

That's when I drop into my Paula Deen accent, look at them over the top of my gramma glasses, smile sweetly, like only a southern gramma can do, while I'm firmly laying it out for them. Works with bridezillas ... works with everyone. jillmakescakes has heard my Southern-Gramma-Paula-Deen voice and I think she'll back me up! thumbs_up.gif

If you're going to argue with someone, you are just NOT going to win when you're arguing with a gray haired southern gramma! icon_rolleyes.gif

tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 7:08pm
post #139 of 193
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayde

There will be tears and deadlines and young whippersnappers that think that they are entitled and know everything already. Look past all of the trivial stuff and remember why you are there and you will somehow find your way through the muck. I know you will do great!

That's when I drop into my Paula Deen accent, look at them over the top of my gramma glasses, smile sweetly, like only a southern gramma can do, while I'm firmly laying it out for them. Works with bridezillas ... works with everyone. jillmakescakes has heard my Southern-Gramma-Paula-Deen voice and I think she'll back me up! thumbs_up.gif

If you're going to argue with someone, you are just NOT going to win when you're arguing with a gray haired southern gramma! icon_rolleyes.gif

That is what I am talking about, it really catches them off guard too lol

I have no worry about you making it indydeb, but I still wish you all the best with your new career. I also learned alot from you.

smab109 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smab109 Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 7:15pm
post #140 of 193

Yes, what a shock to read that! Thought it was a joke at first!

party.gif Here is to you and your new adventures!!!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 7:31pm
post #141 of 193

Oh Indy, I just stumbled across this thread -- I'm soooooooo sorry to hear you are closing! icon_cry.gif I remember when we had lunch a couple years ago and you had ideas of expanding!! Well I guess you have to do what you have to do. I do understand physical pain and its limitations though, so we support you in your decision. But that doesn't mean it doesn't bite!! Well just don't abandon CC -- how would we ever get along without you??? icon_biggrin.gif

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 7:32pm
post #142 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillmakescakes

Just prediction, but I'm gonna bet that this will be the longest thread ever..... icon_biggrin.gif

Nope, the cupcakes thread is like a million pages already! icon_lol.gificon_razz.gif

cakedout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedout Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 7:48pm
post #143 of 193

Congrats on your new endeavors, Debbie!

I know that neck pain....I go for a second cervical epidural the week after Christmas. In addition to the herniated discs in my neck and upper back, I have chronic tendonitis in my hands, elbows and shoulders.

I had no choice but to close up shop as well......but unlike you, I went kicking and screaming! icon_cry.gif I need to take some inspiration from you and turn this into something positive.

Good luck to you in your new endeavors! And hope you can find some relief for your neck.

jillangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillangel Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 1:21am
post #144 of 193

Congratulations on your decision to pursue something you enjoy so much! You'll make a wonderful teacher based on all the help you have given on CC! Plus you'll still be able to enjoy caking on your time/terms. Good Luck!

talk2us Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
talk2us Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 2:03am
post #145 of 193

Debbie,
I am a long time lurker/hobbiest who has always looked for you and Leah's name on any post. I knew it meant accurate, detailed information. My DD wants cake decorating supplies for Christmas along with my secret icing recipe. The secret icing recipe is yours. icon_lol.gif Thanks for sharing it with so many people and allowing me to pass it on to my daughter. My prayers and best wishes go with you as you embark on your new career! Patricia

elliespartycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elliespartycake Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 2:19am
post #146 of 193

Congratulations on your newest career path. Having reinvented myself a few times over the years, I know the the hardest part is making the decision to close one chapter and move on to the next. Then it gets exciting.
Best wishes for your new endeavor and I know we'll all look forward to your continued participation right here on CC; your insights and knowledge are inspiring.

CookieMakinMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieMakinMomma Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 2:32am
post #147 of 193

OK, now I'm bummed that I didn't take the chance to visit your shop when I visited Indianapolis last summer! Dangit. We were in for GenCon (aka Nerd Mecca) and I would have loved something to do other than wander around with a grumpy 11 month old while the hubby played hours of nerd games. Whenever you start your speaking circuit/book signing tour, be sure to post dates so we can see you!

My best history professor story: For our Modern Britain and Ireland class a bunch of us (Professor included) went to an Irish pub and discussed history stuff. Y'know, because beer is essential to understanding the Irish... icon_lol.gif good luck Debi!

auntmamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntmamie Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 2:57am
post #148 of 193
Quote:

Quote:

I'm really going to be showing my "age" now - that song was my high school graduation theme song....wow, so long ago!

indydebi Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 3:16am
post #149 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntmamie

I'm really going to be showing my "age" now - that song was my high school graduation theme song....wow, so long ago!

Showing your age? Darlin' I was graduated and was a mom before Lee Ann Womack (singer of this song) was riding a 2-wheel bicycle!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Relax ... you're still a kid in my book! thumbs_up.gif

Jen80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jen80 Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 4:02am
post #150 of 193

Wishing you every success in your new endeavour indy and I am so happy to hear that you will be staying with us.

You've definately helped me come far in my progression in cake decorating. Thank you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%