Christmas Red, Help !!!

Decorating By savannahrayne Updated 20 Dec 2009 , 3:30pm by sherrycanary62

savannahrayne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
savannahrayne Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 2:14pm
post #1 of 5

HELP PLEASE QUICK! I am trying desperatly to get a decent Christmas red color in my fondant for a Christmas cake. I have tried, Wilton paste
color in christmas red and liquid red color. I keep getting an ugly orange no matter how much color I add. Knowing some color theory,I even tried a little blue to cut the orange hue and it's still ugly.

4 replies
emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 2:33pm
post #2 of 5

If you can remake a batch of fondant, the easiest thing to do is add in red when you're still at the melted liquid stage. It takes so much better! If that's not a possibility anymore, try Americolor red. You might still need a good amount, but it's far more effective and a far more "true" red than Wilton. Good luck!

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 2:39pm
post #3 of 5

I used Americolor red red then added Wilton Christmas red to achive the color i was looking for.

savannahrayne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
savannahrayne Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 2:47pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks, I think I have it passable this time, but will think ahead and make red in my next batch of fondant in the melted stage. I have always had a problem with red. I did add americolor and came out with an OK color. Thankfuly the cake is just for mine and my husbands work parties. Thanks again for the quick replies

sherrycanary62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherrycanary62 Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 3:30pm
post #5 of 5

next time add a touch of burgundy to your red...and it IS so much easier to add color to the melted marshmallow than to try to knead it in.

hth

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%