Working With Long Strips Of Fondant???

Decorating By masturbaker Updated 28 Dec 2009 , 6:08am by cheatize

masturbaker Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 11:09am
post #1 of 11

I'm wondering how some of you handle fondant when you're using it as ribbon? not a bow, but as in a ribbon around the circumference of a cake or something... I find myself wanting to use long strips of fondant, as in 24+ inches... but it becomes difficult to work with because it doesn't keep its shape and it breaks apart...

am i rolling it too thin? should i be mixing with gumpaste? or is there another technique to this?

thanks everyone

10 replies
zdebssweetsj Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 11:19am
post #2 of 11

Try mixing it with tylose or Gummtex, after you've rolled it out and cut your ribbon dust it lightly with corn starch then roll the ribbon, Works great

niccicola Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 12:10pm
post #3 of 11

I use MMF, so it naturally starts to harden a bit, not too much, after the heat fro my hands while kneading it starts to cool.

So, I do the same as the above poster, minus the tylose/gumpaste. I roll it out, cut the strip length and step away for about 10 minutes. I dust with cornstarch, front and back, as I am rolling the fondant. Then, it's easy to pick it up and roll it back out onto the cake. I make sure to brush the cake with water around the perimeter, wherever I want the ribbon to stick.

Rincewind Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 1:46pm
post #4 of 11

After you roll out your fondant to the desired thickness, transfer it to a piece of waxed paper. Then cut your ribbon and the waxed paper at the same time. Now you can apply it to your cake and just gently pull the waxed paper off when it's in place.

I read this tip here a while back. So "Thanks!" to the person who originally posted it. It works so well!

Good luck!

leah_s Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 2:00pm
post #5 of 11

I routinely work with fondant ribbons and put them around 14" and 16" diameter cakes. Yep, one continuous piece of fondant. I use the pasta machine on the thickest setting, cut, pick it up and put it on.

For ribbons that must be put on the cake onsite, then I roll, cut and place he ribbon on a strip of heavy duty vinyl, roll it up and go. At the venue, we unroll, pick it up and place it on the cake.

-K8memphis Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 2:05pm
post #6 of 11

Also you can try candy clay because it does not stretch. Or make a concoction of candy clay and fondant

Candy clay = candy melts + corn syrup
Aka chocolate plastique, etc. = chocolate + corn syrup

Also chilling it a tid tad can arrest the stretch--but you gotta watch it/balance it carefully. Too cold and it will turn into another problem. Suffice it to say temperature is important too.

masturbaker Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 8:09pm
post #7 of 11

wow.. thanks everyone! All great ideas, some i'd never even thought of before...

-K8memphis Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 11:30pm
post #8 of 11

The best thing you can ever do for yourself is test things out in advance of needing to use/see them on a cake.

Just a thought for you as you're starting out.

jobueno Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 1:15pm
post #9 of 11

Masturbaker, when Ihav to work with long strips of fondant, I normally roll out and cut then I rol my ribbon nicely like measuring tape, then unroll as I attach it to the cake. No breaking, no losing it's shape. to prevent it from sticking to it's self as your are rolling it up pat just a touch of cornstarch while rolling. HTH

Peridot Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 7:18pm
post #10 of 11

You need to get SugarShacks DVD's (Sharon Zambito). She has all kinds of wonderful techniques and helpful hints on her DVD's.

cheatize Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 6:08am
post #11 of 11

I roll mine, too. I grease it up a bit with shortening, roll it up, take it to the cake, and unroll it as I move around the cake. Much easier and much less frustration than when I trying to pick up long strips and get it on the cake before it stretched or broke.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%