Shelf Life Of Mmf , One More Time Please

Decorating By madgeowens Updated 21 Dec 2009 , 3:39am by Doug

madgeowens Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 7:19am
post #1 of 15

ok I have read so many answers to the question how long can you keep and use mmf.....non refrigerated........what say you????

14 replies
anamado Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 8:27am
post #2 of 15

I don't know for sure how long.
All I can say is that I never refrigerate mine, and I have stored it for months!
I have lots of left overs of different colors since I don't know when, and I realize they are always OK as long as they are not hard.
MMF has such a high concentration of sugar that wont allow bacterias to grow on it. And the other ingredients are not easily perishable either.

madgeowens Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 8:45am
post #3 of 15

If some is hard can't you put in microwave to soften it? Or does that mean its no good when its hard? Thanks

anamado Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 9:13am
post #4 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgeowens

If some is hard can't you put in microwave to soften it? Or does that mean its no good when its hard? Thanks

I meant hard as a rock! icon_biggrin.gif
When it's not refrigerated it's easy to see when it's really hard because it's completely dry.
When it slightly hard you can microwave it and ad some drops of water. Work with it a little and it will be fine!
If it crumbles a little you can grease it a little bit and it will be better.
MMF is all I use because I'm lousy with BC. icon_biggrin.gif

anamado Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 9:17am
post #5 of 15

PS: In my MMF batch I don't add shortening (there is none here in Portugal). I don't know if that changes life shelf, but I really don't think so as shortening isn't perishable either.
When it crumbles a little I add real butter (very very little quantity). In this case all left overs will be thrown away.

zdebssweetsj Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 9:19am
post #6 of 15

I've tried mmf a few times dI wasn't as happy with it as I'd thought I'd be. A little bit to much streach. I have combined MMF with Wiltons fondant and had good results. Definetly improved the flavor. LOL

luvmysmoother Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 5:28pm
post #7 of 15

I have used mmf for up to a month - no refrigeration and no problems at all. For covering a cake I like to use fresh fondant only. Then for decos I might use "old" fondant - esp good for bows and things that need to be firm. Just microwave it if it is too hard to handle. Then every month I just toss everything out and start fresh. Better safe than sorry. I know it would probably be good for months but since mmf is so economical I don't mind throwing it out if it might save one person a tummy ache or worseicon_smile.gif

madgeowens Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 10:44pm
post #8 of 15

I made a big batch in the beginning of November and thought I would use some of it yet as it is supple and looks just as it did on day one, but was not sure if I could...is that too old do you think? Its been in a cupboard in a ziplock bag

Doug Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 10:53pm
post #9 of 15

use it.

Satin Ice is rated for 1 year!

so this should still be good.

I've made MMF and used the scraps up to 6 months later (after a little wake me up in the micro)

madgeowens Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 11:10pm
post #10 of 15

Doug, thanks so much. I will use it then. icon_smile.gif

madgeowens Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 11:11pm
post #11 of 15

Doug, did you get snow?

Doug Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 11:25pm
post #12 of 15

no, too far south.

ours was a miniature reenactment of the flood.

madgeowens Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 3:26am
post #13 of 15

ah.........hope not to bad

madgeowens Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 3:27am
post #14 of 15

I did see on the news some parts of NC got snow, but could not remember where

Doug Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 3:39am
post #15 of 15

out west in the mountains.

i'm in the lowlands (too low sometimes the way it floods!) between the mountains and the ocean.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%