Baking Tall And/or Large Cakes

Decorating By nadia0411 Updated 21 Dec 2009 , 4:50am by nadia0411

nadia0411 Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 5:51am
post #1 of 3

I have a few questions. although i read lot of threads in this regard so i will just sum up those and add some more questions:

I always use scratch recipes, although i tried WASC but in general i dont like box mixes. I have found a great recipe of sour cream chocolate cake and looking for vanilla cake recipe now.

1. for some cakes (sour cream choc cake), a dome develops, although i cut it off but how to make sure to minimize the dome and maximize the smoothness hence less waste. Bake even strips and flower nails? Should i press it after taking it out?

2. for some [Vanilla butter cake from mermaid bakery on CC], i baked half quantity in 6x3 inches round pan and it fell in the middle? What can be the reason and how to avoid it? .I know the recipe is good, i didnt overmix and temp was right. but i remember opening it once in the beginning, may be it was too soon. Flower nail and bake even recommended her also?

3. When baking tiers for cakes, i want to make batter at once [convenience] and then bake it as i go along. So should the better be kept in fridge? Should i add baking powder/soda to each layer before baking? if yes how much? Does the weather affects this, refrigerate in hot and keep it outside in cold?Remember i use scratch recipes. I have a small oven [but good one] so i can bake more than one cake at a time so can anyone help me with this?

4. Baking tall cakes like 3 inches or more is tricky? Should i always go about baking separate layers? I tried baking tall cake of 3 inches by making walls of parchment paper but it didnt work well. Any suggestions?

Sorry its a long post but i would really appreciate if you guys can answer atleast one issue icon_smile.gif

Thanks for reading and thanks in advance.

2 replies
zdebssweetsj Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 10:01am
post #2 of 3

I use Sharon Zambito recipe for cakes she used pudding in the recipe which makes a denser cake they do take a little longer to cook. I also use a flower nail in the center and bakeing strip on the pans. I might have a slight dome but I just use a piece of wax paper and push it down to level it. if your cake fell in the middle it clould be several thing , to much liquid in the batter, over filling the pan, under cooking the cake etc... When I have a heavy baking day I have made all of my cake batter then baked it as oven space became available . Do keep it refridgerated and no you would not add any extra baking soda or powder to the recipe.. Hope this helps Good luck

nadia0411 Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 4:50am
post #3 of 3

Thanks z , much appreciated.
If anyone else can also give some tips, that would be great.

Quote by @%username% on %date%