Baking Tall And/or Large Cakes

Decorating By nadia0411 Updated 21 Dec 2009 , 4:50am by nadia0411

nadia0411 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nadia0411 Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 5:51am
post #1 of 3

Hi,
I have a few questions. although i read lot of threads in this regard so i will just sum up those and add some more questions:

I always use scratch recipes, although i tried WASC but in general i dont like box mixes. I have found a great recipe of sour cream chocolate cake and looking for vanilla cake recipe now.

1. for some cakes (sour cream choc cake), a dome develops, although i cut it off but how to make sure to minimize the dome and maximize the smoothness hence less waste. Bake even strips and flower nails? Should i press it after taking it out?

2. for some [Vanilla butter cake from mermaid bakery on CC], i baked half quantity in 6x3 inches round pan and it fell in the middle? What can be the reason and how to avoid it? .I know the recipe is good, i didnt overmix and temp was right. but i remember opening it once in the beginning, may be it was too soon. Flower nail and bake even recommended her also?

3. When baking tiers for cakes, i want to make batter at once [convenience] and then bake it as i go along. So should the better be kept in fridge? Should i add baking powder/soda to each layer before baking? if yes how much? Does the weather affects this, refrigerate in hot and keep it outside in cold?Remember i use scratch recipes. I have a small oven [but good one] so i can bake more than one cake at a time so can anyone help me with this?

4. Baking tall cakes like 3 inches or more is tricky? Should i always go about baking separate layers? I tried baking tall cake of 3 inches by making walls of parchment paper but it didnt work well. Any suggestions?

Sorry its a long post but i would really appreciate if you guys can answer atleast one issue icon_smile.gif
icon_redface.gif

Thanks for reading and thanks in advance.

Regards,
NAdia

2 replies
zdebssweetsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zdebssweetsj Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 10:01am
post #2 of 3

I use Sharon Zambito recipe for cakes she used pudding in the recipe which makes a denser cake they do take a little longer to cook. I also use a flower nail in the center and bakeing strip on the pans. I might have a slight dome but I just use a piece of wax paper and push it down to level it. if your cake fell in the middle it clould be several thing , to much liquid in the batter, over filling the pan, under cooking the cake etc... When I have a heavy baking day I have made all of my cake batter then baked it as oven space became available . Do keep it refridgerated and no you would not add any extra baking soda or powder to the recipe.. Hope this helps Good luck

nadia0411 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nadia0411 Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 4:50am
post #3 of 3

Thanks z , much appreciated.
If anyone else can also give some tips, that would be great.
Nadia

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%