Help! How Much To Charge For Gumpaste Flowers????

Decorating By BecuzImAGurl Updated 27 Dec 2009 , 3:04pm by Teekakes

BecuzImAGurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BecuzImAGurl Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 4:58am
post #1 of 12

I have a cake due in like 6 days and they just ordered it tonight...they wanted some orchids on their cake and I'm wondering how much should I charge for each one...because I have to rush make them.... icon_razz.gif

11 replies
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 12:42pm
post #2 of 12

i would charge at least $6 a piece for them. They take awhile to make and you don't have alot of time to make them in.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 1:33pm
post #3 of 12

cost of ingredients plus hourly rate-times-hours-to-make plus upcharge for overhead and profit.

Example: $4 materials plus 3 hours x $10 = $34 plus $15 margin = $49 for 6 gumpaste flowers = $8.25 each flower.

BecuzImAGurl Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 8:22pm
post #4 of 12

thanks for your replies!

Indydebi: I love your blog...I was thinking about doing it one price too, so no little charges on the side, so if I charge $3.50 per serving like you, will the flowers be included in the charge? I personally hate math...dont want to add extra for flowers then more for decorations...so and so

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 11:17pm
post #5 of 12

I always told brides that some things merit an add'l charge, and I used gumpaste flowers as the example. I told them, "If it costs me extra, then you're going to pay extra for it." And they ALWAYS understood that.

But I cant see how adding a ribbon or scrolls-n-dots costs the bakery that much extra. It's minimal so just cover it in your price. One place's base price of $2.00/serving + charing for every little thing can end up costing more than my flat-priced $3.50/serving.

The reaction I got from brides was awesome. The look on their face was priceless when they found out "you mean I can have ANY flavor cake and ANY decoration and it won't cost extra???" icon_surprised.gif

And I became their hero. thumbs_up.gif

BecuzImAGurl Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 3:55am
post #6 of 12

i want to be convinent with the customers AND myself...so I should charge more if it's more work and cost for me right? Thanks!!! everyone on CC is so helpful!!

CakeRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRN Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 4:18am
post #7 of 12

Diane Simmons ( cake decorator in Michigan and cake person extroidinare) charges (and this was 4 yrs ago) 5.00 per flower. Now prices have gone up in that time so yes I would charge at least 7.00 plus a rush charge.
Who orders like that at the last minute....crazy people!

BecuzImAGurl Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 4:40am
post #8 of 12

I get angry at that...but they JUST found out about me...so thats why its all last minute...

11cupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
11cupcakes Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 6:58pm
post #9 of 12

I would charge $10 per flower. Some bakeries charge $ 50 for 3 magnolias.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 10:46pm
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

The reaction I got from brides was awesome. The look on their face was priceless when they found out "you mean I can have ANY flavor cake and ANY decoration and it won't cost extra???" icon_surprised.gif

And I became their hero. thumbs_up.gif

Now THIS is priceless.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 27 Dec 2009 , 2:44pm
post #11 of 12

I think it's very important to know what the flower costs if one was to buy it fresh, then look at your time involved and decide how much per hour you want to be paid. For instance, a fresh calla runs 8-10.00 in fresh but I can whip one up in about a minute. I don't under charge because of what they cost fresh.

Jen icon_smile.gif

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 27 Dec 2009 , 3:04pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniferMI

I think it's very important to know what the flower costs if one was to buy it fresh, then look at your time involved and decide how much per hour you want to be paid. For instance, a fresh calla runs 8-10.00 in fresh but I can whip one up in about a minute. I don't under charge because of what they cost fresh.

Jen icon_smile.gif

Jen, I agree with you completely in your line of thought here. And, the bonus is sugar flowers can be kept forever if stored properly whereas the fresh flowers only keep their beauty for a very short few days at best. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%