Ok, Just To Clairify One Last Time!!!

Baking By TheCakerator Updated 21 Dec 2009 , 3:11am by luv2bake6

TheCakerator Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 11:43pm
post #1 of 16

I need to cover my already iced NFSC with sugar crystals to cover up whatever appears to be either butter or color discoloration on my icing. I read I can use a mixture of 50/50 mixture of karo and water.

I just want to make sure this is correct, and that the cookies won't taste funny with this on them, and that they will still look good on Tuesday?

Getting ready to get them done FINALLY, any and all help is appreciated!

15 replies
TheCakerator Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 12:19am
post #2 of 16

can anyone help me? Thanks!

Kandy4283 Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 12:43am
post #3 of 16

i hate when no one replies to me and you look at the view totals and its like 20 lol!! Well, i gotta say that i think that it will be just fine! I have had this issue actually on some on my cakes and just covered it and nothing ever was said about ne thing tasting funny! So i think it will be fine and maybe even try it on 1 cookie and taste it before you do all the rest! good luck!!! icon_biggrin.gif

TheCakerator Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 12:52am
post #4 of 16

thanks kandy .. and yes, you are right ... over 50 people looked and no one said anything icon_cry.gif

I guess I can always experiment with the cookies that won't be used due to looking so horrible LOL

Elise87 Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 1:04am
post #5 of 16

i sometimes get some disscolouring when my cookies dry and it's more with the red and the brown colours and it's not until like 24hrs or more after they dry that it appears. I think I read somewhere on here to add a few drops of white food colouring to your icing beforehand to help prevent it drying blotchy? I can't remember where that is and i think it was with glace icing i think but i don't see why it can't be done with RI too

TheCakerator Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 1:10am
post #6 of 16

thanks for the reply. My discoloration came on within hours. It looks like there are spots of grease on the cookies but I don't know why that is happening. It happened with the green christmas trees and the gold stars, but both of those were made using a few different colors to get the right effect. Im not sure if that had something to do with it or not.

Now my biggest worry is the cookies will taste funny with the karo/water/sugar sprinkle mixture on top of them, but I don't know what else to do!

Elise87 Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 1:16am
post #7 of 16

what is Karo? Is it like that clear glucose syrup?

shanasweets Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 1:23am
post #8 of 16

karo is corn syrup, don't have any clue about the spots. what were you covering cookies in fondant or royal icing?

Elise87 Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 1:25am
post #9 of 16

Here is a gluscose syrup i have and says it's derived from corn so maybe it's similar to corn syrup i dunno lol:

and i use that thinned down to spead onto my cookies to adhere the fondant to them. To me it just tastes like sweet with no particular flavour and i think if you have something like that it would taste absolutely fine

cindy58 Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 1:29am
post #10 of 16

I found info on the Gramma's Cookies site, but of course I couldn't locate the specifics at the moment!

I have used the corn syrup/water method to adhere sugar, but not over icing. I believe the mix was more like 1 part corn syrup, 1/4 part water, not half and half. One of the decorating hints pages on Gramma's cutters also mentions microwaving the mixture for about 10 seconds so that it will "dry firm" -- but it worked OK for attaching the sugar without microwaving it.

TheCakerator Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 2:06am
post #11 of 16

thank you for the replies. We tested an unusable cookie and it tasted fine so we went ahead and coated the stars in the syrup mixture and then sprinkled the sugar on top. Once we shook off the excess sugar, we could see that the syrup mixture had only darkened the discoloration spots and turned them almost into a brown color. Completely unusable now! My Christmas trees are doing the same thing so we took a tree and covered it in the syrup mixture then the sugar mixture thinking with the green the wetness would not show as much and so far it hasn't. We put them back in the oven after we ran the broiler for a minute just to get it warm in there in hopes that would dry the mixture thoroughly so we will know for sure how the trees will look when done. Now it's 9 p.m. and I have to get ready to make a run into town to buy more butter to make another batch of dough to make those stinking stars again! I cannot believe the luck I am having on these things!!!!!!!!!

Spuddysmom Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 2:37am
post #12 of 16

I feel so badly for you! This sounds like one of those old "I Love Lucy" reruns where the more you try to repair the problem the worse things get. Probably starting over if you have time is best..... either that or stripe those little suckers with melted white chocolate... for that matter how about dunking the entire cookie in chocolate and claiming this is the latest in getting a sugar fix?...sorry, think I ate too much frosting......

UpAt2am Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 2:52am
post #13 of 16

i also feel bad for the trouble you're going through...same thing happend to me the last time i made red icing (little dark dark red spots appeared overnight) and i still don't know what caused it.

that being said, keep in mind that many people look at posts, but don't respond...probably b/c they don't know the answer and are waiting to hear the results as well...like me! icon_smile.gif

these forums would get plugged up by people saying, "i don't know" ya know?!

good luck with your next batch!

TheCakerator Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 5:52pm
post #14 of 16

well ... sadly it came down to baking more cookies and making new icing .. was up till 2 a.m. last night finishing up the cookies and this morning assembled the bouquets. I am not happy with them at all but they are now done and paid for and out of this house and I never have to look at them again icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks for everyone's help the last few days ... I dont know why I had so many problems with these cookies. I guess I am out of practice ... I haven't done cakes or cookies almost all year due to other stuff going on .. guess I learned my lesson, never stop caking! LOL

7yyrt Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 6:10pm
post #15 of 16

If the title isn't specific you get more views from people just seeing what help you need. If they can't help, they just go off.
If you put 'Help! Color discoloration on my icing!' or something in the title, you probably won't get so many views and no posts.
Image Brr - I think it's Winter.

luv2bake6 Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 3:11am
post #16 of 16

So sorry that happened to you. I think many of us have had to deal with those kinds of last minute do-overs, etc. It's very frustrating but oh so relieving once the product is done and out of the house.

Quote by @%username% on %date%