Rum Balls With Cake - How Long?

Decorating By Elise87 Updated 21 Dec 2009 , 12:49am by Elise87

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 11:34pm
post #1 of 10

So i have a recipe for rumballs here:

* 2 1/2 cups Madeira cake crumbs (approximately 280g)
* 1/4 cup baking cocoa
* 1/2 cup Carnation light & creamy evaporated milk
* 1 tablespoon rum (or more)
* 1/2 cup chocolate sprinkles

and it says that it can be made and stored in the fridge up to 2 weeks ahead but i read on here that cake balls (which i am counting as similar cose they both have cake in them) uncovered (i guess not covered in chocolate) will only last a few days but not sure if that was for in the fridge or if left out.

Around which time should i go by? I havn't made this cake kind of rumball before and want to make these today for christmas day so i am looking for them to be in the fridge for 1 week.

Also is there something in the recipe that preserves the cake crumbs better than if you just left a cake in the fridge?

9 replies
Elise87 Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 1:46am
post #2 of 10

any help? I am just about to start them but don't want them to be dry or not good by christmas

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 2:34am
post #3 of 10

store in a good tight TIN (you know those round metal things they sell stale cookies and nuts in) helps to line tin with wax paper or parchment. -- that way can also get several layers in there. OH, and my family rolls them in powdered sugar for "goo"d measure --- makes it's own icing.

and in the fridge too.

they will last ---- oh about "that" long

"that" being dependent upon how often "well, just one won't hurt" happens.

we'd make several tins full just after American Thanksgiving (end of Nov.) and there MIGHT be some left by Christmas... those few lucky survivors were still as good as the day they were made and destined for a quick finish. Out of about 4 tins made, only about a 1/2 tin would make it all the way to Christmas -- just too much "that" happening.

and you can add more rum -- which will make them last even shorter --- i.e. -- "that" happens a LOT more! esp. with the Christmas season need to be jolly!

for extra fun -- try whiskey, scotch, spiced rum, etc.

and... can treat like traditional fruitcake and "feed" them a bit more rum now and then --- which will make them last even shorter still (HIC!)

Elise87 Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 2:41am
post #4 of 10

thanks for the tips doug and yes i definatly don't think 1 tblsp is enough rum at all, i liek them with a bit of kick lol

I will be making more rumballs then i need of course lol also some mini puddings, i'll just try to hide them in the back of the fridge for maximum survival lol

Did the ones you make have cake in them?

Doug Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 8:34pm
post #5 of 10

ours were crushed graham crackers with nuts added and at least 1/2 cup of rum.

• 1 pound box graham crackers - crushed
  • cocoa powder to taste -- (i like a semi-sweet effect)
  • finely crushed nuts (walnuts usually and black walnuts when available)
  • rum, usually around a 1/2 cup per box -- this done by look/feel method -- enough to make it a nice sticky goo that will form balls easily and be sticky enough the powdered sugar will stick easily.
  • smoosh above together
  • form balls
  • roll in powdered sugar

when finished let the merriment begin by licking all your fingers clean! (try not to fall over on floor!)

note lack of any liquid save the alcohol -- we're talking HIGH test product here!

I generally make this as a double batch minimum and the

as for using cake -- could get same dry effect of graham crackers by just letting cake sit out until dried out and in need of lots of alcohol to soften it!

Elise87 Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 12:05am
post #6 of 10

well I using the above recipe I found because i can't have nuts or coconut or stuff like that most recipes have. I usually use other ones that use vanilla wafers and they are super yummy!

With drying out the cake cose I am using a gluten free cake mix for the crumbs which is already a dryish cake so it will prob soak up more alcohol then other normal cakes lol

tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 12:16am
post #7 of 10

Oh no, Elise are you taking a little nip nip behind my back and not passing the bottle around, lol Doug we might have to call 911 for her, she is not a drinker lol

Elise87 Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 12:18am
post #8 of 10

yes not much of a drinker but i usually do like my rumballs and sherry egg nog at christmas icon_biggrin.gif

Don't think i could drink either rum or sherry out of the bottle though icon_eek.gif would be a bit too much kick for me there! icon_lol.gif

Doug Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 12:45am
post #9 of 10

rum or sherry on ice cream!

---

and yep have done the vanilla wafers ones too.

(hmmmm and I wonder what it would taste like halfsies on the graham crackers and vanilla wafers? ooooo or take a devils food cake or some other decadent chocolate cake (mocha?) and dry it up and then turn into rum balls)

Elise87 Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 12:49am
post #10 of 10

mmmmm

And if you want a chewier recipe that's where the consensed milk comes in. I usually like the recipes that have coconut in them.....i love coconut....i miss coconut lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%