How To Keep Blade From Dragging Through Fondant?

Decorating By tashistation Updated 19 Dec 2009 , 11:14pm by Cakepro

tashistation Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 10:27pm
post #1 of 5

Whenever I am cutting a design freehand out of fondant, my exacto blade sort of drags through the fondant, causing little lines to form along the cutting edge.

It's sort of hard to explain but I hope that makes sense? It happens even with brand new blades. I've tried rolling thicker and thinner fondants but still I get this "dragging" affect... Any advice for creating nice, crisp, clean edges? Thanks!

4 replies
Cakepro Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 10:40pm
post #2 of 5

Use a pastry wheel or a pizza cutter, or keep your X-Acto blade scrupulously clean.

Any bits of fondant on the blade will cause dragging.

Loucinda Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 10:59pm
post #3 of 5

CAREFULLY grease what ever blade you are using (exacto, pizza wheel etc.) with shortning. It makes a cleaner cut that way.

tashistation Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 11:03pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakepro

Use a pastry wheel or a pizza cutter, or keep your X-Acto blade scrupulously clean.

Any bits of fondant on the blade will cause dragging.

I've had this problem with brand new straight out of the package blades so I don't think it's an issue of the blade not being clean... I'll try the shortening trick and see if that helps. thanks for the advice!

Cakepro Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 11:14pm
post #5 of 5

Well then perhaps your fondant is too soft. If you don't get satisfactory results with crisco on your blade, try stiffening up your fondant a bit with gumpaste, Tylose, cornstarch, or powdered sugar.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%