How To Keep Blade From Dragging Through Fondant?

Decorating By tashistation Updated 19 Dec 2009 , 11:14pm by Cakepro

tashistation  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tashistation Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 10:27pm
post #1 of 5

Whenever I am cutting a design freehand out of fondant, my exacto blade sort of drags through the fondant, causing little lines to form along the cutting edge.

It's sort of hard to explain but I hope that makes sense? It happens even with brand new blades. I've tried rolling thicker and thinner fondants but still I get this "dragging" affect... Any advice for creating nice, crisp, clean edges? Thanks!

4 replies
 Cakepro  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 10:40pm
post #2 of 5

Use a pastry wheel or a pizza cutter, or keep your X-Acto blade scrupulously clean.

Any bits of fondant on the blade will cause dragging.

Loucinda  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 10:59pm
post #3 of 5

CAREFULLY grease what ever blade you are using (exacto, pizza wheel etc.) with shortning. It makes a cleaner cut that way.

tashistation  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tashistation Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 11:03pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakepro

Use a pastry wheel or a pizza cutter, or keep your X-Acto blade scrupulously clean.

Any bits of fondant on the blade will cause dragging.

I've had this problem with brand new straight out of the package blades so I don't think it's an issue of the blade not being clean... I'll try the shortening trick and see if that helps. thanks for the advice!

Cakepro  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 11:14pm
post #5 of 5

Well then perhaps your fondant is too soft. If you don't get satisfactory results with crisco on your blade, try stiffening up your fondant a bit with gumpaste, Tylose, cornstarch, or powdered sugar.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%