Nfsc Failed

Baking By cai0311 Updated 26 Dec 2009 , 9:17pm by Edee

cai0311 Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 9:05pm
post #1 of 14

I have made the recipe several times with no problems. Today, they are spreading like crazy. The cookies will not hold their shape at all. When I peak in the oven they are greasy looking - like too much butter. But I know that is not the case because I made two batches and the same is happening to both.

13 replies
ZlatkaT Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 10:07pm
post #2 of 14

NFSC fails me all the time icon_biggrin.gif
When I had to bake sugar cookies, I always re-cut the shape with cutter just right after I put them out of oven.

globalgatherings Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 4:44am
post #3 of 14

Baking is all about accuracy and the temperature and humidity in your kitchen. When I mix any of my doughs, I can't be distracted because I know I will forget an ingredient. If you didn't miss one, it must be temperature. The best advice I have ever received off these forums is to chill my cookies after I cut them for 10 mins and then bake them. Also be sure to start feeling your dough before you roll it, if it's not sticky enough just add more flour; a 1/2 a cup at a time til you get the consistency you want . Baking is frustrating sometimes, but never boring, have fun!!

Also, your butter might have been too soft and your eggs too warm. I always use cold eggs

MichelleM77 Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 6:30pm
post #4 of 14

One thing I thought of is that no one ever mentioned to me to shake my can of baking powder, I just happened to notice the little direction on the side of the can. I wonder if it's too packed in and you don't shake it, so that then you put too much in your dough, that it will cause spreading?!?! Just a thought.......

luv2bake6 Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 3:05am
post #5 of 14

thanks michelle, i didn't know that!

NFSC never worked for me because it was way too dry and crumby.

globalgatherings Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 4:12am
post #6 of 14

yea, thanx Michelle, I didn't know that about baking powder either. Good find!!

Kelly

raquel1 Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 4:31am
post #7 of 14

My cookies go from the freezer to the oven and have never had it fail, and I do add flour until the dough feels just right and not sticky (not a very exact science detective.gif ...

cai0311 Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 7:24pm
post #8 of 14

Thanks for the replys. I added more flour and put the cutouts in the freezer instead of the fridge. Those seemed to fix the problem.

GamerGirl Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 9:49pm
post #9 of 14

Not having made these before, is it normal for them to be very crumbly and then patted into discs, refrigerated? Will the dough come together then?

raquel1 Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 10:03pm
post #10 of 14

It may be somewhat crumbly and that's why I roll the dought out between two layers of parchment paper (I saw that tip on kitchengifts.com on their nsf recipe), that way it rolls out without sticking or tearing and doesn't need added flour.

Tiffany29 Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 10:43pm
post #11 of 14

I always freeze my cookies after cutting and it works great, they never spread.
If the dough is too crumbly I add a little water til the dough comes together.

indydebi Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 12:07am
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cai0311

When I peak in the oven they are greasy looking - like too much butter. But I know that is not the case because I made two batches and the same is happening to both.

Had to laugh at this one .... maybe it happened to both batches because both batches had too much butter? icon_confused.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

There are so many factors that can contribute and narrowing it down is a hit-n-miss process. Did you use larger than normal eggs? (more liquid). Butter warmer or melted (too liquidy).

Being a 'until it looks right' cook, I add flour until the dough is consistent enough, then roll it between parchment. Mine go from cutting board to oven.

Edee Posted 26 Dec 2009 , 9:16pm
post #13 of 14

this may have been mentioned already but what I do is...

1. Make sure you have enough flour! I used flour to roll out too. if not, they will definately spread.
2. Instead of chilling dough first, I roll out the dough and cut with cookie cutters and then put on cookie sheet- THEN I chill for about 10 min. Then bake normally.

Edee Posted 26 Dec 2009 , 9:17pm
post #14 of 14

this may have been mentioned already but what I do is...

1. Make sure you have enough flour! I used flour to roll out too. if not, they will definately spread.
2. Instead of chilling dough first, I roll out the dough and cut with cookie cutters and then put on cookie sheet- THEN I chill for about 10 min. Then bake normally.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%