My Oven Has One Temperature "hot"

Lounge By dldbrou Updated 13 Feb 2010 , 9:20am by noahsmummy

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 7:41pm
post #1 of 10

I am trying to make Christmas cookies for tomorrow. Our family bakes their gifts now and I was pulling out all my cookie recipes and looking forward to baking all day. Well, my oven has been periodically acting up and today is the day it refuses to keep a constant temperature.

I set my oven on 325* and it is baking at 475*. I keep telling my dh that it is not fun cooking when I have no idea what will happen to the food.

Guess I'll have fun cooking Christmas dinner next week.

Dear Santa,

Please leave a gift card for a new stove so that next year I can leave you a big batch of cookies.

Thanks, icon_surprised.gif

9 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 7:54pm
post #2 of 10

That's not fun at all! But it just needs a new thermostat. http://www.apwagner.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4_333&products_id=154285 The price will vary depending on the exact one you need but it's probably cheaper than a new oven.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 10:34pm
post #3 of 10

...and of course, these things always happen at the worst possible time. icon_mad.gif

I feel for you. icon_cry.gif

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 4:02am
post #4 of 10

This oven is an O'Keef & Merritt and I don't think they make them anymore. I had asked a service man to look at it a few months ago when he was working on my dishwasher and he did not think they would be able to fix it because they couldn't get parts for it.

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 2:17am
post #5 of 10

Mine has the opposite problem. It's about 20 degrees cool. And it's only about five years old. It just happens to be a piece of crap. I hope Santa gets you a new one!!

noahsmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noahsmummy Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 10:15am
post #6 of 10

dont worry. im renting. my kitchen is tiny.. about zero bench space... i have to keep my microwave on top of my fridge because there is no space. and my over is on a tilt, and also doesnt heat up. =) i like to go "dream kitchen" shopping sometimes... hahaha how sads that?

Texas_Rose Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 1:15pm
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by noahsmummy

dont worry. im renting. my kitchen is tiny.. about zero bench space... i have to keep my microwave on top of my fridge because there is no space. and my over is on a tilt, and also doesnt heat up. =) i like to go "dream kitchen" shopping sometimes... hahaha how sads that?

If the oven is the kind that stands on the floor (rather than a wall oven) then there are usually legs underneath that you can unscrew a little bit to level it, just like on a washing machine.

My kitchen is too little too but I have a good oven because I did a wedding cake for the complex manager and so when my oven broke, she put a really nice one in.

I know what you mean about dream kitchen shopping...We're hopefully going to buy a house and the one that I've picked out has huge countertops and an island...no fancy countertops and the cabinets are a little worn, but we've stuck to our budget so far icon_biggrin.gif I've been waiting days to hear if our offer on it is accepted though.

noahsmummy Posted 13 Feb 2010 , 2:23am
post #8 of 10

im not sure? its really old, and the oven is on the ground, but i think its still built into the wall?

oh gosh your lucky!!!Yeah, im thinking of moving possibly at then end of this year (still renting tho) but will hopefully be able to find a house with a nice lovely kitchen.. or at least a stable oven! haha.

Texas_Rose Posted 13 Feb 2010 , 9:14am
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by noahsmummy

im not sure? its really old, and the oven is on the ground, but i think its still built into the wall?

oh gosh your lucky!!!Yeah, im thinking of moving possibly at then end of this year (still renting tho) but will hopefully be able to find a house with a nice lovely kitchen.. or at least a stable oven! haha.

This is a wall oven: http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/productImages/0/7/00000120907-Kenmore24InchSelfCleaningGasWallOven30479-large.jpeg

This is free-standing: http://thecoredump.org/images/stove_new.jpg

On a free-standing one, if it's electric than the part at the bottom is a storage drawer. Pull out the drawer and look in the space where it came out. You'll see feet on each side, front and back. The metal piece that holds the foot onto the oven is usually threaded like a screw, and to level the oven you turn the feet until the oven is even. (Put a level on the oven rack to check it, or if you don't have one, use a glass measuring cup full of water and compare the lines on the sides to see if it's even) I've never leveled a gas stove so I don't know what's involved, except that the bottom part is a broiler instead so I don't think it would be as simple as pulling out a drawer and reaching underneath.

We're not getting the house we wanted icon_rolleyes.gif We can't agree on a price with the seller and DH is getting mad...so house hunting again this weekend which isn't as fun as I thought it would be. Houses are really cheap where we live, the one we were looking at was $100,000 which wouldn't buy much house most places but in our city it's possible. We just have to find one with no foundation problems and a working air conditioner so we can get financing for it icon_biggrin.gif

noahsmummy Posted 13 Feb 2010 , 9:20am
post #10 of 10

oh thanks for that! lol this is my first house ive lived alone in.. just me and my son.. so im still learning all these little tricks!

hahaha, house hunting never is as fun as you thought it would be. =( but lucky you are able to find houses so cheap! good luck with the rest of the hunt! thats what is putting me off moving.. but the area i live in is just getting worse.. and my house is quite old and is really beginning to show its age. So i think the move is inevitable.. although wont be buying for many years to come! haha. lucky you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%